Having trouble sending mvi file by outlook express

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Mack V

I am trying to send a file (mvi) to a friend using outlook express and get a timed out error w/ a error of Ox800ccc19. The file gets to the end and stops, then nothing happens and the error message comes on. I am using windows xp, w/ firefox browser, and have tried outlook express and outlook with both doing the same thing. My digital camera is a cannon A85. I can watch the video but can't e-mail it. I have not been able to send any of my mvi files so far.
Thanks for any help.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi Mack V

How large is the .mvi file?

Your ISP may have a limit on message sizes.

Have you tried zipping the file first?

Let us know.

Mack V

I have tried different sizes ranging from 4-9 megs. My provider allows me to send up to 10 megs. I am also sending it to the same provider receiver. That is sending from a cox customer to receiving customer using the cox service.

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Is your anti-virus program configured to scan emails?

If so, try disabling the email scanning and see if the message goes through.

Which anti-virus program are you using?

Mack V

Ok, I tried to send myself a very small file using the camera and it worked. Not sure why it won't do the larger ones as the provider allows larger files.

Mack V

Didn't work by closing the avg scanner. I am headed to bed, thanks for the help so far. :)

Generally, you'll have better luck sending files through the mail if you zip them first. Unknown or little-used file types in particular may be deemed suspicious by some email systems/AV scanners. The file will also be smaller. For maximum compression, 7-zip the file:

http://www.7-zip.org/

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Zip the .mvi file and create your Message attaching the .zip file.
File > Save As
Save the message as an .eml file on your Desktop, which you can send over and over.

Then try creating a new Identity:
In Outlook Express,
File > Identities > Add New Identity
Name the Identity.
Click Yes when asked if you want to switch to the new Identity.

Recreate your email account.

After setting up the email account, send yourself a Test email to verify you can Send/Receive.

Then open the message you saved on the Desktop.
Click Send.

Let us know what happens.

Can you access your mail account as web mail? If you can, try attaching the file that way. If that doesn't work either, we can at least eliminate OE as a possibility and it would begin to look more server-related.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online