1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having trouble with external monitor [Ubuntu]

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by John95, Jul 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. John95

John95 Thread Starter

When I connect my Ubuntu netbook to an external monitor I get orange lines radiating off of everything as if I turned up the contrast; eventual after changing both settings on my monitor and netbook I get to work. I believe that it is an issue with Ubuntu + the monitor, not my GPU because everything acts normal with the netbook's display, but I would like some help resolving my issue.

Upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 (not a fresh install)
    Asus eeepc 1005pe netbook
    Envision professional series monitor 1280x1024

Acts the same with ubuntu2D/ ubuntu

2. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

What type of video card does your netbook have, nVidia or ATI?

3. John95

John95 Thread Starter

Intel.

4. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

Have you checked under Additional Drivers to see if it uses one of the proprietary drivers? You can browse the menus for that, or run jockey-gtk in a terminal.

I know sometimes, at least from what I've seen, Ubuntu offers both current and beta (post-release?) drivers to install if you need proprietary drivers.

5. John95

John95 Thread Starter

I checked under additional drivers and found nothing.

6. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

7. John95

John95 Thread Starter

8. John95

John95 Thread Starter

Where do I download?

9. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

http://intellinuxgraphics.org/ seems to be the place that that page links to.

Note that it is not Intel that hosts that, but these should hopefully do the trick.

10. John95

John95 Thread Starter

Thanks! But which driver do I download, or do I download each one and compile it?

11. Smiles n' grins

Smiles n' grins

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure! :D

Some of the early versions seem to support GMA 3xxx versions, but I'm not sure if the latest installations are include previous drivers. So you might try one of the older versions first and see what happens.

Also, it's possible you might have one of these drivers installed by default, though you could just be using a generic video drivers. You might could try using a combination of the methods on these two links to see what module your video card is using.

I'm no super huge Linux guru, so hopefully these drivers will do the trick. When it gets to module probing and whatnot, I can get lost if it gets too deep, and video drivers are just a pain to install in Linux, especially manually.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1059299