Solved Having Trouble With Getting June 2016 Windows 7 Updates

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Has anyone been able to get the June 2016 updates for Windows 7 by the normal "Checking for updates" method?
Capture.JPG

I haven't have any trouble obtaining the June 2016 updates for Windows XP and Windows 10, but Windows 7 is a different story.

I heard that Microsoft was going to change the way that Windows 7 users start receiving monthly updates, and apparently it has.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
After finding and installing the Internet Explorer 11.0.32 update(KB3160005) from the Microsoft Update Catalog site, Windows Update finally kicked in and displayed the other updates for June 2016.
Capture.JPG

I'm in the process of downloading and installing them now in this Windows 7 computer.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I did a restore on my Windows 7 Toshiba laptop since Windows 10 gave me trouble. I have only been able to download a few updates, it keeps searching. I did get Service Pack 1 and internet exployer 11. Not much more.. If I cannot get the rest of the updates to download in a few days I'll just use the laptop without all the downloads as it is..

Well my updates were waiting for me this AM. It said there were 15 of them. I went and took a peek and in the middle was KB2952664. So I hid it and requested to install the other 14. 1 hour later I came back to the system and its sitting there downloading 0 of 14. Cancelled and tried it again and the same results. Internet connection is good so I have no idea. I may try a re-boot and see if that clears things up.

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Well, yes and no.
On my Windows 7 32 bit, the updates were found within 5 minutes and install with out issue.

But on my and the wife's Windows 7 64 bit machine, it took over a hour to find the updates and the update were installed with out issue.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I still have 2 Windows 7 64-bit computers to update, but the "Checking for updates" process is taking forever.
I downloaded and installed the KB3160005 update for IE11 from the Microsoft Update Catalog site.
Hopefully, these update problems will cease after July 29th.

--------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I manually downloaded and saved all 9 updates yesterday for Windows 7 64-bit from the Microsoft Update Catalog site.
I didn't have problem with installing the KB3160005 update for IE11.

I've been trying to install the other 8 updates one at a time in numerical order(starting with KB3159398), but I'm not having any luck.
Capture.JPG

Let me do a restart and then see if the KB3161664 update you mentioned will install.
Capture2.JPG

---------------------------------------------------------------

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks, Derek.
That was a step in the right direction.
The KB3161664 update installed quickly.
After I did a restart, Windows Update alerted me that the remaining 7 updates were waiting to be downloaded and installed.
Capture.JPG

They just finished installing. :D
Capture2.JPG

It's time to restart again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I am also having problems downloading Critical Updates this month to my Win7 (64) and my Vista. Downloading for hours but never finishes. How can I get the critical updates to install for my Win7 and Vista? I am at my wits end as an 80 year old who does not know that much about computers. If MS knows about this problem, why aren't they fixing it? I also cannot download updates for my MSE. What is going on with these updates?
Can anyone PLEASE help. If there is a "fix," how can I install it if it will not download?

plodr

Liz
First Open Windows update and in the left column select Change Settings. In there change whatever setting you have to Never check for updates (not recommended). If you do not make that change, your computer will spend hours "checking for updates" or "downloading updates" and actually not doing anything.

Next go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52794
and download KB3161664 if you use the 64 bit version of Win 7.

Install it then see if checking for updates is speeded up. If not, post what you need and I will give download links.

On one netbook in the house, I had to download and install 8 updates manually one at a time before anything started to work. of course, I also had to reboot after each update was installed.

First Open Windows update and in the left column select Change Settings. In there change whatever setting you have to Never check for updates (not recommended). If you do not make that change, your computer will spend hours "checking for updates" or "downloading updates" and actually not doing anything.

Next go here https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=52794
and download KB3161664 if you use the 64 bit version of Win 7.

Install it then see if checking for updates is speeded up. If not, post what you need and I will give download links.

On one netbook in the house, I had to download and install 8 updates manually one at a time before anything started to work. of course, I also had to reboot after each update was installed.
Should I leave it (Win7 64 bit) on Never check for updates (on my Win7 (64) and my Vista? What do I do for my Vista?
I went to the KB3161664 and ran it but it just keeps saying "searching for updates on this computer." And just keeps saying that. Do I have to wait "hours" for that to complete also?
What to do now? I've spent hours on this already.

Tthis has been going on for about one week! And now I can't even see the updates that are available. All it says is "checking for updates."
Aren't any of you experiencing the same thing? Am I the only one?

Last edited:
I had the same trouble.. I finally got the updates to download and install on my Windows 7 after the help I got from this group, but I can not get the updates for my Windows Vista, the last time I downloaded Vista updates was in March..I gave up on Vista for now...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online