1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having Trouble with NPS With Active Directory authentication

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Osy, Mar 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Osy

Osy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Pierre
    I am having trouble with the wireless authentication with my Windows server 2016 NPS. I asked other it staffs in person what's the resolution but it seems like they want to play stupid like they don't know. I want several videos some videos have been fast forward and not telling people accurate information.

2. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Is this for a company wireless network? Was this working or are you installing new? Who are these "other IT staffs" you are referring to?

3. Osy

Osy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Pierre
    I asked an IT staff for helf advice but they stated they don't know and they know. I'm using this it for the house for authentication. Also another problem is that the router is Netgear r6400 not requesting user and password. It just ask for network key while on enterprise mode. I would like if we can call and let you see the issue on my Windows server 2016.

4. zx10guy

Why do you want to over complicate a home wireless network? I did what you are looking to do as an exercise a long time ago as I work and provide consulting in the IT space. I currently don't even use WPA2 Enterprise on my home network which uses enterprise grade wireless equipment. Just use a strong passphrase.

5. Osy

Osy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Pierre
    I'm doing it for VPN purposes anyway so when we're out of the city at a public Wi-Fi I can use it.

6. zx10guy

As far as I know, NPS does not provide any VPN services. NPS is only to provide one part of a network authentication hand shake as it operates as a RADIUS server which is one component of doing WPA2-Enterprise. If you want to create a VPN solution, you need to stand up a VPN server. What you're attempting to do will not work.

7. Osy

Osy Thread Starter

First Name:
    Pierre
    One last thing I need to know. Of all these three, which of these can run together on same PC or separate different server PCs?

VPN
    NPS
    Web Pages.

8. zx10guy

You can run them all on the same box. Depending on how secure you want to be will dictate how these things are set up. You can scratch off NPS from your list as it isn't going to provide you anything. Running a VPN server on a Windows machine is possible. Would I do it? No. All of my VPN solutions I use to gain access to my home network are either hardware solutions where my edge firewall has the functionality or it's running on a purpose built appliance. My SSL VPN solution is a virtual machine running on a stripped down Linux OS.

Web pages would mean a web server. Again, you can run a web server on a Windows machine. Would I do it? It wouldn't be my first choice of platforms to host a web server on.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1225207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice