1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Having Various Issues With Viewing Menus and Typing

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by shinco, Jun 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shinco

shinco Thread Starter

I've been having several issues with my computer over the past week or so, mostly in the way of opening folders and menus. The following is a detailed listing of the issues I've been experiencing:

1. When I open the start menu and move my cursor over the "Recent Items" button or the bottom right arrow that opens up a menu for restarting, logging off, shutting down, etc. the start menu automatically closes.

2. On my desktop, I have my account folder. When I began noticing the problem, when I double clicked the folder the properties appeared instead of the folder opening. Now when I double click it, an error message comes up that says, "The properties for this item are not available." Any other folder I try to open up this way makes the properties appear (save for the left side drop-down menu when exploring folders). Also, if I try double clicking on programs and/or applications, nothing happens save for a swirly loading cursor appearing beside my mouse which disappears in less than a second with nothing else happening.

3. Any time I try to type in my word processor, various keys cause menus to pop up ("W" makes the "Window" menu drop down, "H" makes the "Help" mnenu drop down, etc.). If I try to save a file by typing in its name, no letters appear.

4. Right clicking either doesn't work or causes a menu to come up for a split second and then disappear. This happens no matter where I right click.

5. I noticed yesterday that when I loaded up iTunes, it wouldn't let me close it.

When all this started, I could turn my computer off for a little while and turn it back on and everything seemed fine. After that, the error message I mentioned would pop up when I double clicked on my account folder on my desktop. My computer will either experience these issues or be fine. It fluctuates between working fine and having issues, and I don't know why or what it means.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    It sounds to me like your Alt button is broken, so as to be always pressed. If you have a tower desktop, try disconnecting the keyboard and see whether the problem disappears. Obviously if that is the case you'll need a new keyboard; it's kind of hard to use a computer without one.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1004304

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice