1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hawking HBB1 or Linksys OGV200?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by metro.v3, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metro.v3

metro.v3 Thread Starter

Current I have both but cannont tell which one is better. I have read up on both and they both apply QoS policies. What I noticed was that they both prioritize "time sensitiive data" such as VoIP. But the hawking HBB1 clearly states that it uses technology called "steam engine" and from the diagrams it shows on the Product Page [http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?CatID=36&FamID=80&ProdID=216] it not just does the same thing as the linksys (prioritizing time sensitive data) but also helps "filter out" traffic providing a smoother experience. I havent seen any diagrams or read anything about the linksys OGV200 doing the same. This is where you guys come in. I need advice on which one I should use. Or perhaps keep both. Here is my current setup

Internet->Cable->SOHO->Public Wireless
    ========== | \
    ======== [VPN][VoIP Module]

I can place both the OGV200 and HBB1 anywhere. Where would it be best to place either or both (cascading) so that VoIP (and if possible gaming) would be optimized and everyone on the network wouldnt suffer.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, for what it's worth, I use the Hawking HBB1, and it helped my VoIP phone system a bunch.

I advice AGAINST using both of them, since you'll only introduce delays, and potentially confuse things. I also can't imagine anything but bad things coming from attempting to use both of them.

You only need one of them, because unless all the traffic goes through the unit, it won't do anything for the issue you're trying to solve. Put one of your choice between the broadband modem and the router. If you put it downstream, it obviously can't affect any of the other traffic, which is the whole point of QOS processing.

3. metro.v3

metro.v3 Thread Starter

Well right now im using both with the linksys in front and the hawking second. I am currently having no problems actually. I can get a speed of 4200kbps consistantly and I get a MOS score of 3.9+ consistantly on www.testmyvoip.com. So I'm a little bit confused as to why it is bad to use both. They are currently placed between the cable and SOHO which means that they are affect all connections (VPN, WLAN, and Vonage). The only annoying thing is that the HBB1 kills all connections for a moment while it tries to "measure bandwith" which affects my trading connections in the morning. Do you know how often it does this?

P.S.
    Does it only "measure the bandwith" when all connetions are idle?

thanks again :]

4. JohnWill

Well, once again, I'll say that using two of them is providing no benefit, and can only cause you problems. You won't get any better performance than with just one, it can only get worse than with one.

FWIW, I've never seen the HBB1 affect my connections here, so I don't know what that's about. I've had the thing installed for 6-7 months. I have no idea about "measuring bandwidth", never even knew that was a "feature" of the HBB1. How do you know when it's measuring bandwidth? All I have is a string of activity lights, with a blue one when it's performing QoS prioritizing.

I'd pick one of them and go with it.

5. metro.v3

metro.v3 Thread Starter

Well while I'm browsing my internet dies and a message in the top left corner of the page on my browser says something about "something something measuring bandwith" and I've seen someone post a similar comment in either this forum or the vonage forums.

6. JohnWill

I have no idea what is happening there, as I said, I've used it for months, and I've never had any issue like that.

7. metro.v3

metro.v3 Thread Starter

Are you using it just for your IP fone or also your internet?

8. Ajhizzle

Ajhizzle

I have wireless internet and I was wondering if i can put one of these products to where it goes Wireless access point->One of these products->Xbox. I need all the help i can get. Thanx.

9. metro.v3

metro.v3 Thread Starter

Well technically you could but its recommended that you put it before you WAP. Like in this
    Internet>Cable>(OGV200 or HBB1)>Modem or Firewall>WAP>Xbox. That way it affects everyone on the network providing a better experience :]

10. Ajhizzle

Ajhizzle

Yeah thats what i figured the only problem is that they don't want me too. They are afraid i will screw up our computers. oh well. So it can be done with the optimizer sitting in between my access point and xbox? If i do it like this will it help out any or only cause complications for me. And if it will help out which product do you reccommend?

11. JohnWill

If you put the unit on a single component, there is nothing for it to "optimize", so you're wasting your time and money. It needs to control ALL the traffic to be effective.

FWIW, it's a drop-in installation, you just connect it between the modem and the router, no configuration of any kind required.

12. pugmug

pugmug Banned

13. metro.v3

metro.v3 Thread Starter

yay! thank you :]

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice