1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hd 4650 bottleneck with this cpu?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hellsscope, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hellsscope

Hellsscope Thread Starter

i have a P4 2.8ghz w/HT CPU, I'm not looking to play graphically intensive games or newer games.

Complete spec are:
    P4 2.8ghz w/HT
    3g pc3200 RAM
    600W HEC PSU
    HD 4650 1gig vram 128 bit agp 8x

How bad will that bottleneck my gfx card?

Example of games I am playing:
    Heroes of Newerth
    WoW
    bf2
    Borderlands (ran on low with my old 6600oc on a p4 2.4ghz- so im expecting alittle higher)
    League of Legends
    call of duty MW (same as borderlands)

2. Compiler

Compiler

The 4650 is the most 2nd powerful AGP card you can buy (4670 is faster)... and yes, the CPU is the bottleneck.

I think the Gigabyte is the best deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...wDeactivatedMark=False&SrchInDesc=4650&Page=1

Note: going with something slower like the 3650 will only save you about $5~10... The other AGP cards available like the GF6200 or GF6600 or 3650/3450 costs about $10~15 less with a fraction of the performance.

3. Hellsscope

I already bought all the stuff I was just wondering what kind of bottleneck to expect, I hope it's nothing sever enough to lower some of those games down to less then 30 fps on low, well except cod4 I know that will lag.

I run these games at a fairly low res too, most my HDTV supports is 1280x720, so I really hope it's nothing too sever as my 6600 ran fine on a 2.4ghz p4.

4. Compiler

Compiler

1280x720 is considered LOW-RES. 60FPS is the desired minimal frame rate... 30fps at worst.

I didn't assume you bought that stuff new recently... other than the 4650.

Anyways, the P4 was never a fast chip... sorry. Here is a CPU chart in which all systems are using a modern upper end GeForce 285 (Used to cost $500 a year ago), the game is Left 4 Dead with graphics of avg stress ( call of duty MW would be in the same boat) : http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/48
    Scroll all the way to the bottom... The closest is the P4 660 @ 3.6Ghz, so knock off about 1/4 the performance for your CPU would bring the 31.2 down to about 25fps at best. ie: the 4650 or the GF-285, they'd both be bottle necked by the rest of the computer - making no difference. You should benchmark both your cards with 3Dmark and your own games with built in Frame testings.

Scroll up a bit to the AMD Athlon LE-1640 2.7GHz - 512KB L2 and it scores a healthy 55fps. A newer version of that same CPU (AMD Sempron 140 2.7GHz) sells for $32. Even wiping out the once super-high priced $1000 Intel Pentium Extreme Edition 955 3.46GHz!

The $55 AMD x2 240 scores at 95fps.

If you want to improve your gaming experience, you're going to need to replace the computer. (after-all, you do have an HDTV so you know how much sharper that is over SD).

With faster CPU and access to even more powerful video cards, it means you can turn up the details to many many levels than what you have now. But details won't hurt you too much when your CPU limited - but it effects the video performance as the data still needs to feed to the card.

Overall future budget for a low-cost solution would be about $250 for just the X2 CPU, motherboard, 2GB and a $100 video card like the 5670 or 4850.

5. Hellsscope

Oh no, the only thing I bought recently was a case/psu and the HD 4650 to revive this old p4 agp system, I didn't spend money on a full p4 system, my budget was only 160 bucks after all.

Thanks for the information, I think at low these games will run a little better than my 6600OC did on my p4 system considering this comp has a slightly better cpu then the 2.4ghz. I'm certainly not expecting the full potential of this card on a single core system, thanks for the info it helped.

6. Compiler

Compiler

I was aware that only the video card was new.

The low performance is more than a single-core issue. As a $32 modern single-core CPU is twice as powerful. Just saying - the P4 you have is about 7 years old, so saving a bit here and there towards a replacement would allow you to get much faster PC performance and far better gaming experience. This fall should hopefully see lower priced memory and video cards.

7. Hellsscope

This is at least a decent upgrade for what I could get though right? I should at least be able to run most those games on low, save codmw of course.

8. Compiler

Compiler

Low vs Hi details/res is more of a factor if the video card is the deciding factor.

ie: A modern PC with a quad core CPU and comparing Onboard video to an ATI 5350, a 5750 and a 5850. Each progression allows for faster frame rates and details. So to get the 5350 to run as almost smooth as a 5850, the person would have to reduce the res and game details to minim.

When you are CPU limited, there isn't much a GPU (video card) can do. lower details will help a bit. But if the video card is waiting to be fed by the CPU, it doesn't matter how powerful it is.

The most you can do for now is to just try the game out. You can't make your current computer any faster. It's almost like saying you can upgrade a Ford Focus to a Ferrari.

9. Hellsscope

alright, my computer sucks I know, but games ran fine on a lesser power p4 and a weaker gfx card, so i should be fine for what I play.

10. Compiler

Compiler

Yes, by all means - get the most out of what you have. I can't afford to buy what I want... I don't even own an HD-TV yet. With Avatar and other Blu-Ray movies... I may buy a BR drive, but they are $60 for the cheapest drives... but should look great on my 24" LCD.

I'm only pointing out that when want more graphics and game performance, that spending several hundred dollars will be the requirement. My desktop is 2 years old now and has a "low-end" 4670 gaming card... that works fine for me. I can't and won't spend $300 for a gaming card for myself. But if in 9 months the ATI 6670 comes out at $100 and performs like a $250 5830 with less heat and noise... I'll buy it.

I said the above because you upgraded from the GF6600 (A fine card) because you wanted to improve what you have. By some people's standards - yours and my own computers are not playable. So just like me, if you want more performance over what you have now - we're going to have to pay for it. ;)

11. Hellsscope

My 6600 died like 5 months ago I've been gaming off a 9200 (dx8 card) so I figured I'd get the 4650 when I got the money :), thanks for the help, I'll post frames per second when I get my stuff (still not even shipped gg newegg bought 3 days ago), I'm pretty pumped though because I see people playing modern warfare 2 with my exact same set-up to be :)

12. Compiler

Compiler

Cool... yeah, that 9200 was never made for gaming. Just like the GF 5200 or 6200s. Makes for an excellent office video for computers that need it.

Sure, post up your results... then you compare to others and would help others know what their options are.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919094

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice