1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD 5730 on ASRock 4Core133 GLAN/M board?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ishamm, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

HI

i am looking to buy a radeon HD 5730, but not sure that it will fit on a ASRock 4Core133 GLAN/M board, because it looks so big. can anyone say weather it will, or if you have done it yourself?

thanks a lot

2. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

3. Compiler

Compiler

I think you mean 5830... there are no 5730s.

It doesn't matter if its a bit longer than the motherboard. The more important issue is if your power supply can support the video card. What is your PSU brand and model number?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Are you sure its the Radeon 5730? The only 5730's I see are mobile parts for laptops.

Any PCI-Express card should fit into the slot and there doesn't seem to be anything it would hit past the slot.

As long as you do not have a small case you should be fine for room.

You will lose the top PCI-Express x1 slot slot though as he card will cover it.

Make sure you have a sufficient power supply to power the new card.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I've moved your power supply question to this post too since we both asked about what PSU you have and that save time rather then having several threads going.

Never heard of the brand, can't find any specs on it, and its cheap for a 680 watt PSU. Here's a quality Corsair 650 watt PSU: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...sfire+Compliant+Power+Supply+?productId=29099

If cost is an issue then this OCZ 500 watt should do the job as well: http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...re+Ready+ATX2.2+Power+Supply+?productId=29090

6. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

cool thanks! i did mean 5830, sorry. do you know what the underside looks like? i can only find pics that show the top. would it be flat or have anything that sticks up do you think? also, are you saying avoid the Mad-x PSU? thanks for the help!

7. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  9. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

sorry, i guess i meant the top side, the other side of that. is it just the backside of a circuit board, or will there be anything tall? theres a few things above the slot that could make it a tight squeez. also, does this card need to be plugged into the psu? or can it get power from the mobo?

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There should be nothing on the top, a few cards have small heat pipes but those are few. We'd need to know the exact brand of the card as each manufacturer can choose a different design to be 100% sure.

11. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

it would be the standard ati one, unless there is any big advantage to another, the price seems to go up quickly for different brands, is it worth it?

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If its a true built by ATI card then it should have a standard and plain cooler as pictured above.

Do you have a link to the card, that would be the easiest.

13. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Well it appears it would just be a standard re-branded ATI card for Pixmania so probably nothing on the top of the card.

15. ishamm

ishamm Thread Starter

so it should fit and work with the 700W PSU? sounds great! thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice