1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD bad sector help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rosh325, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Hey, I have a bad sector on my hd (4kb bad sector). I am running xp and this shows up in the summary (i can only run scandisk on restart).......anyway, what type of problems can a bad sector cause? do i need a new drive...
    as long as we're asking....if i get a new drive, i notice they connect with ATA...but my current hd connects with IDE....do i need anything new?

2. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Nothing!??! :(

3. SexyTech

SexyTech

Hi there!

You may be at the start of a "Cascade Failure".

Go to the Drive Maker's website and download thier diagnostic utilities and run a good thurough check on the HDD.

Western Digital's utility is cal;led "Data lifeguard" and if the drive is under warranty, then any of the test fail, then they replace the drive.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck!

ST

4. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

That doesnt sound good...what persay are the symptoms of a cascade failure? my hd is a fujitsu mpd3084at

5. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

Casecade failures are just like they sound. Hard drives are plates on a spool. They spin between 5000 and 10,000 rpm. Now imagine throwing a nut into your car engine when it's reved up. Yea the nut did a ding in the first cylander, but it's going to bounce right? :) Same thing with a Hard Disk Drive (HDD). This could be the initial 'scratch' on the surface of the platters, and things could (not an absolute) get worse. Hope this helps.

6. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

could this cause the computer to freeze when idle? If i need a new drive, what is recommended for like 60mb...looking for economical solution

7. SemmySweet

SemmySweet

Freezes are from multiple areas, but a HDD going bad could cause it to hang up. Constantly writing and re-writing will significantly slow a system down to a crawl, if not stop. 60GB's are cheap since the 200 + GB's are out. For now, don't spend until you know what the problem is. Save your data often.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you do end up buying a new drive, I'd recommend one of the 7200 RPM drives with the 8mb cache. Both Maxtor and WD are making them in a variety of sizes, they're lightning fast. :)

9. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

How about a seagate drive that is 7200 and has a 2mb cache.....is that slow?

10. JohnWill

Any modern 7200 RPM drive should be very decent, the larger buffer just does a little extra for queuing up writes when the disk is busy, and so increases throughput.

11. rosh325

rosh325 Thread Starter

Thanks..one last question..is there anyway to identify what kind of ATA my computer is equipped with (like ata 33, ata 100)

12. JohnWill

Cruise over to AIDA32 and download the Enterprise Edition of ADIA32, it'll tell you loads of good stuff about your system.

13. Oneoldman

Oneoldman

Your experience has helped me a lot..and the advice you got confirms that this hard drive problem is niot unique. I have an e machine with 8.4 gbytes and it "clunks" every few hours, stopping operation...E machines want 59.50 for new one... wonder if I could get one any cheaper elsewhere..and will the cd that e machine supplies to automatically format a drive be useable on any new one?...amnd.if not, will someone on this board be able to walk me through the formatting process?You guys are great techs...really appreciate this site.

Oneoldman...getting older every day!!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117040

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice