1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD blues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alnsash, Feb 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alnsash

alnsash Thread Starter

OK, went to add a new HD to my system. Not replacing the old one, So the OS is already in place. I set t he old drive as a master, set the new drive as a slave. Figured I woulf have nothing else to do.
    WRONG!
    Doesn't show up in windows. OK, went to CMOS to check settings, and there is is, under primary slave. Why won't it show up in windows?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    have you partitioned and formated the new drive? If not try doing that - I would unhook the old drive so as not to mess it up and run fdisk off of the windows bootdisk(you may have to make one from add/remove programs) Follow the on screen instructions to partition it then restart and format it.

3. alnsash

alnsash Thread Starter

OK, did all that. Created a primary partition then formatted, still will not show up in Windows. Do I need to create extended DOS partitions, or logical? When I tried, it said there was no room.
    What should I try next?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a primary partition that's formatted on the disk, it should show up in Windows. What does FDISK say if you boot from a floppy and type:

FDISK /STATUS

It should show the partition.

5. alnsash

alnsash Thread Starter

when I go into FDISK and choose the option to display partitions, I see it, and it says it is active.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Did you format it?

7. alnsash

alnsash Thread Starter

yes, partitioned, then formatted

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    well then ya it should show up. Hmm thats really odd. Double check that the drives are set up as master/slave and not cable select. Then boot of a floppy and see if you can access it in dos. I would also check device manager and check the status of the ide controller and the primary/secondary channels.

9. pronute

pronute

Are the to drives the same manufacturer ? because somtimes differnt munufacturer drive electronics somtimes don't comunicate with each other this is very rare but posible, and also you can try setting the jumper on the primary master and slave to cable select.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!