1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD Controller Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaygattis, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaygattis

jaygattis Thread Starter

I just installed an Iwill Side RAID100 card. I attached my 2 HDs, one to each IDE channel - set their jumpers to Cable Select (as instructed). But it froze up as it was booting into WinXP... I had to hard restart. Now after saying "Verifying DMI Pool Data....." I get some garbage text and then nothing. I ran ScanDisk on the drives and it found tons of errors on my C drive but fixed them all, but I still can't boot to anything but a floppy.

Is my HD fried?? =(

I also discovered that Iwill has negligable tech support - only FAQs and drivers... no way to contact them.

Appreciate your input.

-Dr. Jay

2. Rockn

Rockn

It's probably due to the fact that XP is trying to load the drivers for your old HD controller. If XP has a safe mode I would boot to that, remove the old IDE controller and try to boot to Windows again.

3. jaygattis

jaygattis Thread Starter

I tried connecting both HDs to one IDE channel and now I at least get to the boot menu (I have Win98 and WinXP installed) but neither will successfully boot... or even give me the option of safe mode.

I can't seem to get to my Win98 install files in the Win98 directory on my second drive for some reason to reinstall. Argh! ScanDisk says there is a long file name error that it cannot correct, but other than that finds nothing. When I DIR the volume there are some odd characters by some of the directory names (like the Win98 directory there is an "a" with a accent above it off to the right of the directory name).

Guess I have to find my damn CD. Looks like one of the IDE cables was bad... too bad I have no way to even contact Iwill for a replacement.

-Dr. Jay

4. Rikku

Rikku

As a last resort always try getting to a DOS prompt and typing 'fdisk /mbr'.

That command has saved me SO many times and for the oddest problems. Garbled directories, viruses, seemingly trashed hard drives.

Just give it a shot before you do anything drastic. :)

5. jaygattis

jaygattis Thread Starter

Hrmm.. things have gotten worse. During installation of both Win98 and WinXP the computer would hard crash (suddenly power down) after the reboot and the beginning of setup. Now the computer says
    "Disk Error
    Press any key to reboot"
    after "Verifying DMI..." and I get no boot menu, but I can boot from floppy. fdisk /mbr doesn't help. Scandisk finds no problems. Argh! wimper wimper...

Oh and I updated the BIOS for the Iwill card but that had no effect either.

-Dr. J

6. deuce

deuce

Does either HD boot without the RAID controller and just the normal Intel IDE controller that the computer should already have drivers and stuff for?

7. PC_DISK1

PC_DISK1

Hello,
    I would keep everything the way it was and install the raid controller in the PC and boot to both OS's, and see if it is there or if it will install the drivers for it. Then I would disable the IDE ports on the MB from the Bios.
    Good Luck

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61621

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice