1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD Crash, cant install Windows on other HD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Warlord112, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Warlord112

Warlord112 Thread Starter

Hello!

Ok, so here is the story. I was using my PC, just browsing, and my hard drive was making noises. So i restarted it an it said that a DLL was corrupt, fine, i can fix that. i loaded linux and found out that my HD itself has died. so i removed it and tried installing win XP on my other HD, when it got to the part of restarting the PC during the install, it said "error loading operating system. Ive tried installing different versions of xp, and reformatet multiple times, and nothing changes. ive tried Win XP Pro retail, corp, and OEM. same with home, and ive tried media center. None changed it. So for now i have linux installed, but i cant stand linux.

Any Ideas? ive also changed the drive in my bios to Large and all others.

Thanks!

2. jmwills

jmwills

SATA drive looking for drivers perhaps??

3. Claymore

Claymore

If Linux is installed on the hard drive you want to install Windows to, have you done all you need within Linux to set up the HDD to allow XP to be installed? If not, or you don't know how, then this:

Uninstall Linux and install XP

4. Warlord112

Would it be the MBR? Considering win xp was never uninstalled. just a copy installed on a diff HD. OH, and i dont have a floppy disk, its ubunto. so i cant get into the linux dos- like OS and use fdisk...

5. Warlord112

HEY! i got it! It was the MBR! There must have been a previus installation of windows on this one before. i loaded my cd, chose repair, and ran "fixmbr" and that did the trick! Thanks for your help guys! (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice