1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD Crash - Need Help - Please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MastiffShack, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MastiffShack

MastiffShack Thread Starter

Well, to top off everything else that has gone on for the past week, Sunday, my hard drive crashed.

1) I believe it to have been corrupted during the use of Executive Software's Defrag product on either my D or E drive. C had completed the process.
    2) While running Defrag, I was using Outlook 2003 to read and archive email (C).
    3) Upon exiting Outlook, a system hang (i.e. no mouse movement, not Ctrl-Alt-Dlt; no nothing).
    4) Manual power off, wait 30 sec, power on revealed that the OS would not boot (displayed recovery screen) to Normal Windows, Safe Mode, or any variation in between.
    5) Use of the Original OS CD to launch CHKDSK seemed to recover, but upon boot, it would hang about 50% through.
    6) Through all means available at this time, I have concluded that the drive either "crashed"; or the sector/clusters corrupted beyond Win XP Pro to recover.

(And no, I don't have a recent backup. - stupid me.)

Hardware/OS profile: Compaq 8000T; 1GB; 160GB (50GB.1; 85GB.2; 8GB.3 - approx. partition breakdown); Win XP Pro w/3 user profiles defined;

Questions: 1) Is there a software product on the market (from a reliable source since I've alread tried one, and their email address doesn't even work) that will permit me to recover my drive (either by cloning with user assistance or some other method) as much as possible? The software cost to be some where around or below $100.

2) Is there a method that I've not tried (outside: reboot from recovery disk-failed; CHKDSK from Win XP Pro CD-No recovery)?

3) Help from anyone, please.

There are only a few data files that are critical to me; but they are quite large. I can always rebuild from my licensed software stash; but the data is another matter entirely.

Thank you... :(

2. n2gun

n2gun

Can you boot in safe mode?? Can you boot with xp disk?? If you can boot with the cd there is a repair on it that may solve your problem. If you can get in with safe mode use the system restore in accessories>system tools and use a date prior to problem.

3. MastiffShack

I've tried the options you suggest (safe mode, original XP Pro CD, tried repair).

I approached it very carefully, since I would like to find a solution that does not involve reformatting the drive or overwriting the very few critical files I have there.

Repair seemed to want to format the drive since what ever happened to the drive, XP recognizes it as "damaged".

Thus, my request for a software solution that will "clone(?)" the drive and allow "pick-n-choose" recovery, or some other method that will recover as much of those few critical files (i.e. email archive and IP downloads.) My email archive is about 58MB; and IP Downloads are about 60MB. Email archives contain the software keys received when I purchased the software I downloaded.

Anyway, quite a pickle, wouldn't you say?

4. mangojump

mangojump

have u tried hooking your duff drive up as a slave? if all u need are files and not the OS or progs then it may work..

heck, its worth a try

5. MastiffShack

Not yet, but will be trying it this evening when I return home from work.

As a fall-back plan, if hooking it up as a slave didn't work, I was hoping for a list (recommendation(?)) of a software product that would recover from disk drive failures, easily obtainable and less than $100.

Thank you for your help.

- Jim

6. Whaines

Whaines

If you have another Drive handy, doesn't have to be very big, install windows XP on it with your bad one as a slave. You should be able to use the hard drive and back up your files. I have done this in the past.

7. MastiffShack

Thank you Whaines.

I've done as suggested and was able to recover most of the data on the drive.

The correuption stemmed from Compaq's Recovery Partition. A partition of about 7GB in size. This was discovered after installing the OS, and attempting to read from the drive (it had 3 partitions, 2 users, 1 Compaq).

Compaq's partition was FAT32. Although the OS reported it as "Healthy"; any attempt to access it failed. Additionally, repeated attempts to "recognize" the partition by the OS while working in background, caused minutes of delay to launch any other application. As soon as I was able to delete the partition, all response times returned to normal and I was able to obtain much of the information lost.

I want to thank you all for your kind assistance.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice