1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD/DVD connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alwrmc, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have several HD's and DVD's that have been removed from computers.
    I would like to connect one of the Lightscribe DVD's to a computer that has no workable internal slot to install the drive in.
    Is there a cable that I could use to connect the IDE drive to a spare SATA connector and allow the drive to be used outside of the computer for writing a few discs.
    I have found some plug in converters but would like to find a single plug to plug cable (plug into the back of the DVD drive and route the cable into a spare SATA slot/connection inside the computer.
    I hope this makes sense and someone can point me to a solution.
    Thanks.
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 94 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16323 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 1862 GB (1741 GB Free); D: 931 GB (81 GB Free); E: 3726 GB (3066 GB Free);
    Motherboard: HP, 2B4B
    Antivirus: Norton Security Suite, Enabled and Updated

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

One option might be to look at installing an eSATA card in the PC, so you don't have wires dangling out of the casing, and then use an adapter to go from IDE to eSATA

3. alwrmc

alwrmc Thread Starter

First Name:
    B.L.
    I have no way to put the drive inside the computer and also it will be just a temporary "fix".
    Thanks anyway.

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

This wouldn't involve fitting the drive inside the PC, but I can understand why you wouldn't want to invest this money if it's solely for a temporary fix.

5. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

6. bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1184350

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice