1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD enclosure not working?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jtn3833, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

I've had an empty HD enclosure for a little while, relatively new, but no HD for it - I'm trying it out with some hard drives. Both are Ultra ATA. One is an older 40G and the other is a brand new 160G Ultra ATA. I know both drives work, I just formatted the newer 160G in another computer but when I put either HD into the enclosure nothing happens.

The enclosure is IDE, would the HD's not work because the enclosure doesn't work with Ultra ATA? I'm not sure what the difference is between all the ATA's (except SATA, I know that one) - they all use the same cables...right?

Thanks,
    JTN

2. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Ensure you have the Drive Jumpers set to Master, not Cable Select.

All (AFAIK) external hardd rive enclosures require the drive jumpers set to Master.

hth

Ceri

3. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

Yeah - I've double checked that and tried all of the available settings just be sure I was getting the Master.

Thanks

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have the drives jumpered as master, and two exhibit identical symptoms, something is most likely wrong with the enclosure.

5. jtn3833

jtn3833 Thread Starter

That's what I thought was wrong at first so I exchanged the enclosure out for a new one, and at that point it turned out to be the HD - so the enclosure is new.

Thanks,
    JTN

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The only other possibility is that you're doing something wrong with the installation. You have two known working drives and what you believe is a working external case. It's usually real simple to finish this project. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592695

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice