1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD format stops at 30% then blue screen error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by melonhead, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Dell XP Pro computer 1 year old.

My friend was unable to get into her hard drive. I found that there were two partitions - C with XP Home, E with XP Pro. I repaired the XP Pro hard drive via disk. And was able to get into Windows and see both drives. When I tried to get into the C Drive I would get error messages such as hal.dll missing NTFS.sys missing, etc. I would copy these files from my XP Home Laptop and paste into the appropriate folder.

Everything was going okay and then when it started to reboot, it did a disk scan. It repaired a number of files and then got to 30% and froze. I tried repairing, etc.

Then I tried deleting the partition on the C drive and formating and it would freeze at 36%. I tried deleting both partitions and formating. It got to 34% then gave me a blue screen that read,

A Problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: partmgr.sys.

Driver_unloaded_without_cancelling_pending_operations

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed....

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed...

Techincal information:
    *** STOP: 0x000000CE (0xF87CB667, 0x00000000, 0xF87CB667, 0x00000000)

partmgr.sys

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

2. pehbond

pehbond

partmgr.sys is a part of partition manager. there must be something wrong with the partition. have you had a go with partition magic

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think I'd download the disk manufacturer's diagnostic first and do a surface scan on that drive. It sounds like the disk may be going bad.

5. melonhead

melonhead Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the replies. I happened to search for myown post and came across another post that had a similar problem. (I don't know why I hadn't found this one on earlier searches.) Anyhow, they did a fast format instead of the regular format. This also worked on mine. It loaded up Windows great. I've checked the disk and ran diagnostics since Windows reloaded and everything seems fine. Weird! But it worked. So, thanks so much!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488638

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice