HD format suggestions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dhill

My Dell Inspiron 1100 had numerous problems from the factory, mostly stemming from the inability of IE to display secure websites and the inability of WinXP to perform updates (neither manual or automatic download, nor from downloading patches from other machines and transfering by cd and installing like that). Some viruses crept in along the way due the vunerabilities not taken care of by windows update. Tried getting rid of them using various tools, but memory is still being sucked dry by some processes???

Long story short, I'm going to wipe it clean and reinstall. Does anybody know of any advantages to just starting up with a boot cd (no floppy drive) and doing a complete format of c, as opposed to just inserting the WinXP cd I got with my laptop and doing the format like that? I assume the latter method is possible, but I'm afraid some missing or bad files may not be fixed if I don't do a complete format.

Also, what about partitions? Is there a small one there Dell created, and should I wipe everything clean or just the main partition?

I guess I should have said "short story long." Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice you have.

ok dhill I would suggest this for you to do ... if u have a boot disk put that in and start up with no cd rom support , after that u want to wipe out all partions and start a new one ( use full size as u asked) * then make sure you set it active. after that reboot and then u will be on the next step to reformat start with out cd room support again...make sure you are in c promtp do a "format c: /s after that when it formats and askes u to rename it u dont have to type anything just hit enter and reboot now choose with cd rom support with you os cd in the drive. change directory to d:(cd d: or what ever your cd rom drive is ) and type setup

dhill

Originally posted by scutch2222:
start up with no cd rom support
???
my laptop has no floppy drive. so, the boot disk would have to be a cd... unless i am missing something? not sure what exactly you mean by "wipe out all partitions." do I achieve this using fdisk and setting one partition to full size of HDD capacity?

i've never done this, so i'm going on what i've info gathered on help sites so far.

dhill

I made a 3 gig partition for the OS only, and that's not enough. After I installed XP and upgraded to XP Pro (all I had was the upgrade disk for XP Pro). Other than the OS, I installed only drivers on the 3 gig partition. When I went to do a windows update, there was not enough drive space to install service pack 1, even without archiving files. I recommend minimum 4 gig partition, for anybody else wanting to do this.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online