1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hd keeps turin off?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by crownydowny, Oct 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crownydowny

crownydowny Thread Starter

my hd keeps turin off or sumthin i was told that it was caused by my cmos battery so before i could change it my comp crashed so i decided to get anew mb adn thought it was fixed but now it is doin it again it ruined one of my hd's already and i dont know wassupp plz sumone help

2. crownydowny

plz help its doin it right now again and again im so lost here i bouts to throw it out the window

3. johnnychan

johnnychan

does it sound like its having a hard time spinning? like its making click noises? cuz my hard drive did that and i just got the hard drive replaced and problem solved...hope that helps

4. johnnychan

johnnychan

or maybe you need to check and see if your power scheme isn't set to turn off hard disks after 3 mins or so...power scheme should be in your display properties, under screen saver tab

5. suesman

suesman

Power Schemes is actually under

Start\Settings\ControlPanel\PowerOptions\

I have mine set to
    Always On

& then in the "Settings for Always On power scheme" I have:
    Turn off monitor - Never
    Turn off Hard Drives - Never
    System Standby - Never

Of course this is only if you haven't look into this possibility already. :D

6. raybro

raybro

Tell us WHY you believe the HDD is "Turning off". Just what do you observe. Be as precise as possible.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It might be helpful to know what kind of system, desktop, laptop, etc. Also, what O/S are you using, W98, W2K, WXP, etc.? It's hard to help when you supply no details...

8. crownydowny

ok see what happens is while my comp is turned on my hdd everynow and again will click on and off and my comp starts to freeze a lil the first time i noticed it my system crashed and woudnt boot again and gave a message liek no os present so i took and old hd and reinstalled now its up and runnin again but is still clickin on and off and everytime i start comp up it auto. starts a disk check for consistancy and always finds bad clusters in certain files but different ones everytime so im confussed......... i went to power setings and the scheme was set to home/office desk so i changed it to always on i also run xp home right now but when prob started i had xp pro on it i hope this gives a lil more info on the situation thank u all for the input

9. joeyd

joeyd

I had a similar problem to yours which after a lot of head scratching turned out to be an intermitant problem with the PSU (dont know if that is your problem but it is worth bearing it in mind)

It always supplied enough power to the MB, but sometimes screwed the HD. As it got worse it started to affect the CD, DVD etc and sometimes on restart would not detect the HD in Bios

Before rushing out to buy a new psu or HD etc, check all the cables are ok, download your HD manufacturors diagnostic software to check the HD, beg or borrow another PSU.

10. Deathdealer

Deathdealer Guest

i had the exact same problem

when the harddrive got hot it stopped till it cooled down put a

fan beside the hardrive and see if it works again

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I would download and run the drive diagnostics from the manufacturer.

12. crownydowny

its not getting hot cause i have three fans in my comp but i think i will try the cables my ide one r new but they r the round ones and also i have many attacthed things such as lights and fans and such all for power so i think i will try diff things to see if that combats the problem tyhank u all for the inout ..... by the way wat is psu as referred above and how would i go aobu tgeting drive diagnostics? thank u all

13. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi an welcome! PSU= Power Supply Unit. To get the Hard Disk diagnostics goto ur Drv manufacturer's website and look for a link under Tech Support that specifies a downloadable file that can be put on a Floppy to fully test the hard disk for fuction, etc.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice