1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hd making grinding noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chris_j11, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chris_j11

chris_j11 Thread Starter

i had my sony viao for almost 2-yrs and i'm starting to hear a grinding noise from my hd. i initially noticed it when i turned it on. it made this loud grinding noise for over 10-mins then it disappear (pc still made typical very noise) and after 3 days the hd made the same noise (again for ~10-mins), but not as loud when i turned it on, still loud enough to notice and the grinding noise wasn't consistent either, a few time it was like grinding down then speeding up again
    should i start looking at new hd, will i be able to rescue my files if my hd just decides to stop working or decides to boot up
    i normally keep my pc on for 5-days and i know i'm not the only one so i don't think that's the reason
    also most night, i keep my pc busy all night long encoding movies for over 10-hrs, can that be the cause

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Any information of value should be backed up. Hd can die at the drop of a hat.

But are you sure its the hd and not a fan.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Are you really really sure its the HDD?

The noise you describe sounds more like a fan that has bearing failure.

IF its the HDD, you need to get all your data off now. If its the fan, then a new fan is needed.

4. n2gun

n2gun

I would open it up and make sure it is the hard drive. If it is I suggest you get a new one quick. I would, personally, not run the pc til I did. You will not be able to recover anything if it crashes. The only way would be to send it to a place that specializes in data recover and it is expensive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/293741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice