1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD making loud rat-a-tat sounds!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 8nout, Mar 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

HD suddenly started making these loud sounds while playing on-line game. I shut down, re-booted but still making sounds and won't boot up...just clacks away. What do you think? Sounds to me like something may have let go inside? Thanks for viewing my thread.

2. A Hawk

A Hawk

Dosen't sound good:( see if you can boot with a boot disk and you may be able to retrieve any stuff you might want to keep, because it sounds like the drive maybe cactus:eek:

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your hard drive is likely shot for good. You can let it cool down for a while and see if it goes but even if it does it should be backed up and replaced. Hopefully its doing this because it overheated, in which case if you cool it down it might work again, if it does look into the temps the computer case. On the other hand hard drives fail all the time as do all electronic and mechanically devices.

4. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Thanks for the prompt replys... I did get it to reboot and load the OS (XP Home), but it took 5 min where it used to take under 1 min. We all know I'm pretty much computer impaired but is it possible the HD is running very slow? The clacking has stopped but it is taking a much longer time to get info off the drive. It's a cooked goose huh, save what I can and move on?

5. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

OS will not load now, just "short cycles"... starts then restarts almost immeadiatly and just goes over and over. I booted from disk, went to recovery console, got "c" prompt but didn't know what command to type. Very frustrating being computer impaired.

6. DZ007

DZ007

I'd say 90% of the chances are that your harddrive is kaput. If it is still in the warranty period then go call the manufacter up and ask them for a replacement. If not then you should just go and buy another one. If you are lucky you might be able to transfer some stuff you need before it goes out completely...

7. deuce

deuce

IMMEDIATELY BACKUP YOUR DATA. Don't even try and run it. If it's a western digital or maxtor, you can have them send the replacement (if it's still under warrenty) first and you can try and save the data, and then send the kaput drive back. If it's an OEM, then you may just want to buy a new one and try and save your data. But what ever you do. DO NOT POWER THE DRIVE UNLESS YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO SAVE DATA.

For when you are ready to try to get the data, there are some tricks you can try if it is too late to just normally back up the drive--but we can worry about that when it is needed.

8. 8nout

8nout Thread Starter

Thanks again for responses....OK, I'll just bite the bullet and go for new HD...LOL...I'll probably be back here when I try to install the new drive.

9. A Hawk

A Hawk

Your Welcome, Good Luck.:D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/209833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice