1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD Mobo BIOS woes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by capricious c, Jan 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. capricious c

capricious c Thread Starter

Hello,

P4 2.8 ghz
    512 ddr pc 2100 ram
    Intel D845PEBT2

Been having a problem with a hard drive that I just cannot snag. Well, I think I have the issue possibly straightened out now, but stepping in here for advice.

I purchased a WD 1800JB (180 gig) hard drive and am having trouble getting it to run properly. I get frequent corruption, some types of video media will not play, and crc checks (using SFVCheck) fail when this drive is connected via the slave channel in my system. XP Home with Service Pack 1 is in.

I tested out an old Maxtor 40 gig on the slave channel and had no such problems. Also switched IDE cables and did all the other precautionary steps. Now I was leaning towards the problem being the physical hd itself. However, I forget to mention that this is an RMA'd drive, and the previous drive gave me the same problem.

Anyway, I set up the 180 gig in an old Athlon 700 box as master and installed Win 2k Pro on it. WORKED FINE! This proves that there is nothing wrong with the physical drive. CRC checks passed, the vids in question played.

What did I do next? I installed the drive in this box as master and installed XP Home on it. Went to boot and I get a "set proper boot device" message or something along those lines. So I go ahead and put my real boot drive on slave and see what happens. It boots off of the slave! It still recognizes the 180 gig hd, but it is assigned D:\ in windows and acts as if it is the slave with all the same problems as before. I check the BIOS and everything it has everything as *I* set it up, not how it actually works.

So now I figure it might be a BIOS update issue. In numerious formats and repartitions of my drive, I actually did get an instance of the BIOS having trouble seeing the drive on one occassion.

So it turns out my BIOS is .p04. The current version is .p10. So I check around through the BIOS update notes and come across - "Fixed a 48bit LBA drives accessing issue." Yay! I think I have may have found the solution!

I go to flash my bios and it fails. Why? Well, turns out I have an oem variant of the motherboard and .p04 is as high as the BIOS goes. So basically, I cannot update the BIOS any further and the probable fix is out of my reach.

I have two questions:

Considering my symptoms, is it likely that a BIOS update would address the issue?

I was told to pick up a PCI ata controller and use the drive off of that. Wouldn't the BIOS still come into effect and cause trouble?

Thank you very much for your help!

-Brian

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If you use a Controller card, such as a Promise Ultra 133 TX2, the bios on the controller card will deal with your hard drives. Not the Motherboard bios. There is a 137Gb limit with in most but the most up to date bios' that is surpassed by the newer controller cards. There is also the same 137Gb limit in WinXP that is taken care of by SP1.

3. capricious c

Yeah, i have Win XP with Service Pack 1, so the 137 gig limit on that end should be taken care of.

I have an odd question. I installed the 180 gig hd in my AMD 700. That mobo bios is so old, large hds didn't even exist then. Yet with WIN 2k + Service Pack 3, the drive worked fine. :/

Doesn't that throw into question this being a BIOS issue? I am so confused. All the hardware has been verified to work in different circumstances, but don't work together.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Is this a true intel board? I just checked he intel website and they dont list a bios update version P04. Did you try the update using the express update as Intel suggests?

5. capricious c

No. It is an OEM variant of the motherboard. The official INTEL version is up to .p10. My variant's latest bios is .p04. I contacted the vendor and they said it seems like a bios issue, but that there are no further updates for the board. They are researching the issue now and will be getting back to me in a day or two.

6. Bengaul

Bengaul

Seems obvious, but have you adjusted the jumper settings on the back of your HDD? Sorry if you have, only you didn't mention it, and it could be a problem...

7. capricious c

Yeah, have tried every jumper setting possible. Cable select both, Master wslave and slave. No luck.

8. Bengaul

Bengaul

Most manufacturers have some driver software available for HDD's. Try downloading that and then try?

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/196669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice