1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD not recognized on PCI 100 card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by don pryor, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

I installed the Promise ultra 100 card and its drivers. There's no yellow mark beside it in Device Manager and no hareware problems in system tools. I installed the Maxtor 40 HD with the ATA 80 wire cable and tried to fdisk it to partition. Comp could not locate a fixed disk. I went to Promise support site and it suggested changing HD in cmos from auto to none. However, on this site, one of your threads on pci controller cards, it was suggested that the onboard pci controllers be disabled.

I haven't tried Promise suggestion yet because I was down for most of the day after trying to reboot with the original HD re-installed. I had to make changes in the bios to finally solve the problem. What steps would you recommend me taking to determine origin of non-disk recognition problem?

Thank you, Don

2. LHE

LHE

Don:

The Promise card should be under SCSI Controllers in System Properties. For example my slightly older version shows as: Win9x-ME Promise Ultra 66 (tm) IDE Controller

The Promise card has its own bios so you should NOT be trying to detect the hard drive attached to the Promise card in the main PC bios. The only hard drives that should be set to auto in the PC bios are the the ones directly connected to the MB IDE ports. Set any unused HD connections to NONE.

You should see your Promise card detect the drive attached to it separately at boot up.

If you wish to boot from this drive, you must go into the PC Bios at set the boot sequence to show A,SCSI,C or if it will not allow A,SCSI,C then you will have to set it to SCSI,A,C. What you can set depends on the age and make of your board. The key is SCSI MUST appear before C for the PC to boot into Windows from the HD on the Promise card.

3. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Thank you LHE:

I used the config you mentioned as a last resort: SCSI,A,C but did not change the BIOS to none. I had primary and secondary masters and slaves on auto detect. I will try the new config tomorrow to see what develops.

I install a new video AGP card and didn't configure it correctly in the bios. It worked until I installed the PCI card and they clashed. It took me most of the day to locate the problem because I lost my video. I finally re-installed my PCI Video card, booted up and installed the drivers for the PCI 100 card. I then shut down and re-install the AGP card and lost video again. Anyway, When I got my video back I went into BIOS and changed my "initial display first" from PCI to AGP and the problem was solved.

Thank you for your advice. Now I can move from comp idiot back to comp beginner and learn something new. I wish I could isolate problems as easily without having to do a process of elimination everytime something goes wrong and still end up with a ?. Thank you again, Don

4. LHE

LHE

Don:

Well done! It sounds like you are off and running! There is nothing like a little contention to spice up the situation!

Just to further clarify the boot sequencing, if you wish to make your new drive on the Promise card the boot drive, then you must boot SCSI,A,C or SCSI,C,A as I stated earlier. All the older boards I have seen did not allow A,SCSI,C which would be the preferred sequence if it was available.

By booting SCSI, and assuming you had only one drive as Master on IDE 1 on the Promise Card, it will become the C:\ drive in Windows. Your Master on IDE 1 of the MB proper would be the D:\drive. Other drive letters would then depend how many partitions you have on the individual drives.

Typically it is preferred to use the newer drive on the Promise card as your C:\ drive as the performance (drive transfer speed) will be much better as the new drive is faster and the Promise card supports a higher Ultra DMA level. Why have the latest in drive transfer capabilities and not use it?

Good Luck!

5. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

To LHE:

My comp would not recognize the new drive. I tried the combos of: SCSI,C,A; SCSI,A,C; and C,A,SCSI. I could get to the A prompt and type in FDISK and it responded with No Fixed Disk Present.

I went into CMOS and changed primary master to none, user, auto. none worked with the permutations above. I went into IDE HDD AUTO DETECTION and it said no hard disk present. I did auto detect at that point and it said: Detecting Primary master and froze. I rebooted and the window said: detecting primary master and froze.

I then uninstalled from the PCI Promise card and install from motherboard. same results. A:\ no fixed disk present. I used the ATA 100 cable {80 wire} and I used the cable I had been using on my old drive and it didn't work from the MB. I started at noon and gave up at 10 PM.

Tomorrow I will drive to run it as a jumpered slave and see if I can get it recognized. I am out of ideas both fresh and stale. If this doesn't work, I will sell this drive and buy a Seagate 20 and run it from the motherboard.

I appreciate your assistance. Unfortunately, my board has a mine of its own. Thank you, Don

6. LHE

LHE

Don:

Not so good!

It is imprtant you understand the Promise card and Bios are standalone and have nothing to do with the motherboard bios.
    Making changes to the motherboard Bios has NO effect on what is happening on the Promise controller other than setting the boot sequence.

Please place a hard drive configured as master on IDE 1 of the
    Promise Controller. The blue connector of the 80 wire ribbon cable goes to the controller and the black end to the drive.

Boot the computer and tell me if you see the Promise Controller find this hard drive on your screen at boot up. Detection of the Promise Bios happens BEFORE the motherboard bios even starts. You should see the Promise Bios find the drive before it progresses on to the motherboard bios.

If you do NOT see the above than your Promise card is not installed correctly.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It appears you don't use the Promise board. I have the Ultra133 TX2 in this system, and the drive detection of the Promise controller attached drives happens after the BIOS POST has completed, not before.

8. LHE

LHE

Don:

Yes Don, I have had a Promise Ultra 66 controller for several years. As well I have installed them in other people's machines.

Regardless of where the card is booting do you see the it boot and see it find the drive you have installed on it?

9. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

LHE: When the comp boots it posts recognition of the promise card, however, when I get to FDISK at A:/ prompt, it posts "No fixed disk found". With the primary master at "none" in the CMOS and the permutation, SCSI, C, A, and SCSI, A, C, the FDISK results are the same: no fixed disk found. According to Device manager, the card is working properly with no conflicts and the drivers are loaded. The card is sitting on IRQ 10 on post, but 10 in comp bios is reserved and disabled. However, as you have said, that should not affect the Bios of the card.

I spent a couple of hours on Maxtor's site reading FAQ and one possibility is to run the maxtor from MB by entering false parameters in CMOS for the primary to get around the Award 451 Bios limitation and not use the card at all.

I have not worked on the comp today because my frustation level needs to recede a little more. Doing this hiatus I am mentally reviewing everything I've read here and on maxtor's and Promise's site and going thru the procedure i'll use when I tackle it again.

Thank you for your continued assistance, Don

10. LHE

LHE

Don:

Patience!

Do not use the EZbios or whatever it is called. There are to many down stream potential problems. The Promise card is the prefered way to go.

While I said the Promise card is standalone as far as the Bios goes, at the PCI level it is not. In other words, the IRQ and assignment are under the motherboard's control.

Before we try any more, it is critical you tell me that the Promise Bios sees the the hard drive attached to it at boot up. Yes, you have told me the Promise card posts recognition but not that you can actually see the drive in the post. Just be clear, and assuming it is more or less the same as my card, you should see 4 lines in the post corresponding to the Promise IDE 1 Master and Slave and IDE 2 Master and Slave. If you only have one drive attached to the Promise Card IDE 1 as a Master, then this drive should be identified and the other 3 spaces are empty.

It is critical you see the hard drive at this point as every thing else is irrelevent until you do. At boot up I see a what I will call a paddle rotate on the first line. This paddle or line continues to rotate until the drive(s) are recognized after which the boot sequence carries on.

You do not have to set any specific boot sequence in the Motherboard to verify the boot status. The Promise boot verification is quite separate from which drive boots into Windows.

11. slipe

slipe

Is the card showing under SCSI or Mass storage controller in device manager?

It will show up as a mass storage device until you get the software installed and then it will show up under SCSI. I’m not sure you can do anything with your drive until you get it showing as SCSI.

12. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

LHE and Slipe: The card is showing in DM as SCSI Controller. On boot it does not show the SCSI primary or secondary masters and slaves. It posts the card, its IRQ and other info that's new to the post but I don't have them written down. When I re-installed my old drive it wasn't recognized either. I had to go into IDE HDD Auto detection to get the comp to see it. I have never had to do that before. Maybe my board is not equipped to handle the card's function, just its recognition.

I can't tell you anymore info right now on other info posted with the SCSI in boot post. I will have that info tomorrow. When I operate at the level of frustation I'm at now, things start breaking so I need to back off and start fresh again. The first thing I'm going to do tomorrow is try what Maxtor recommended and that is to enter the false parameters it gave me and try to run it from the MB.

Thank you for your time again, Don

13. LHE

LHE

Don:

Progress! Your Promise card is not installed correctly.

As I mentioned in a early answer, you should see under My Computer-Control Panel-System-Device Manager the following:

SCSI Controllers (Double clicking on this should show you:)
    Win9X-ME Promise Ultra 100 (tm) IDE Controller

You state it is showing as "DM" under SCSI Controllers.

This indicates it has not been installed correctly. Either you have not done the installation correctly or the IRQ 10 issue you mentioned earlier is causing a problem. Please be sure you have followed the correct installation for the type of Windows you are using.

You might mention which Windows you are using and your CPU/motherboard combination.

14. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

LHE: Under SCSI Controllers is: Win 95-98 Promise Ultra 100 IDE Controller. I have a CyrixInstead 6x86MX 200 CPU with the Award 451Bios with the 32G limitation. I am running Win 98 but will install Win 98SE on the new drive if and when it gets recognized, Don

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It appears that your problem has already manifested itself before any version of Windows gets into the picture. When you reset the machine, and the Promise controller banner appears at the end of POST, it should detect the connected hard disk. If it doesn't, no O/S you run is going to see the drive. You need to solve that problem before you start playing around with the O/S.

I've found that the Promise controller was a bit picky about the cableing on my system. Did you use an 80 conductor cable, set the drive to Cable Select, and plug it into the end connector? That's what it took to get my Ultra133 TX2 controller running, when I jumpered the drive as master, the controller didn't see it for some reason, even though it was plugged into the same connector.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice