1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD not recognoized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TechCliff, Apr 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TechCliff

TechCliff Thread Starter

I'm working on a friends computer. It's a AMD 3500 512ram 160 HDThe drive will not show up. I removed it put it on mind as a slave and ran spinrite on it. It said it could not repair 3 bad sectors. But the problem is now it won't even show up. I was trying to clone to a new drive but old drive just won't show up on either computer. Tried boot up again with spinrite in dos still no drive. Can a drive go bad as it can not show up, or can it become unactive and lose it's drive letter. Help Please

2. kev1952

kev1952

Does the drive show up (on either or both machines) in the BIOS?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Sounds like the drive is gone. Bad clusters can't be fixed (It's a physical problem with the disk's oxide coating) and the number of them will just increase, leading to data loss and unreliability.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:
    HD Tune
    CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
    HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
    MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
    Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:
    TachTech
    BleepingComputer

4. kev1952

kev1952

I suspect that you are quite right but a little exploration can't hurt (even if it's only for teaching purposes). :)

5. TechCliff

TechCliff Thread Starter

Yes the HD does not show up on either computer or in Bios. I do think the drive is gone. I'm thinking about put new drive in but I don't have there xp disc because Compaq doesn't give you one it's on the drive as a recovery partition. Someone told me I can use a service pack 1 disk and use their xp key number from the side of the case. But you can not use service pack 2 to do this to load windows. is that right.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

No. The key will only work on Compaq's version. You need to buy recovery disks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703611

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice