Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HD partitioning

317 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  OverTallman 
#1 ·
Good day. I am getting a new system, 533 intel with coppermine chip. 13.7 GB Quantum HD 7200 RPM, and Win98. I have been reading on partitioning, unfortunately too much info is dangerous. I understand that keeping partitions small will allow less wasted space, so I plan on C at 3GB for Win 98. I would like to have Programs loaded in D at 3GB, but would I be better off to have D,E,and F at 1GB each to handle programs? If this would be better than I can do the same for the remainder of the HD for other use. Pros and Cons appreciated.

#2 ·
This doesn't make any sense. While small partitions do lose less space per partition after format, add up the loss space of small partitions then compare to that of one big partition of the same size, the results are pretty much the same. Moreover having 3 partitions to manage installed programs just adds unnecessary confusion. You won't be able to install large programs on partitions that are too small either.

If I were you I'd just use one partition to hold Win98 and the programs and store personal files on a separate partition. Less confusion, much more efficient use of space, especially for a small hard drive such as yours.

One thing to note, MBR partition table can only have at most 4 primary partitions or 3 primary + 1 extended (which can hold as many logical partitions as you see fit). If you have all 4 partitions (C, D, E, F) as primary, you won't be able to make another partition without removing one of the existing partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.