1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mercier01, Nov 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mercier01

Mercier01 Thread Starter

I recently installed a 20GB hard drive and it was working for a week, but one day when i started up it said "Windows Protection Error. You Need To Restart Your Computer"(before win started). I restarted and it still said that. I unhooked the hard drive and was able to start the computer, but every time i hook it back up it does this again.

Please Help!
    Thanks

2. deuce

deuce

Will your computer start in safe mode? (press F8 right after memory count) This error happens for many reason and sometimes happens when your computer loads or unloads a virtual device driver (VxD) or if there is a cmos error or I think even device conficts, ect, or your registry is damaged. Make sure the cmos settings for your hard drive are correct, and that it is jumpered correctly. If you still can't boot windows, try restoring your registry.

3. deuce

deuce

opps... forgot to mention... what version of windows do you have? If you have no luck and need to restore your registry, you can run it by typing SCANREG/RESTORE and the command prompt. (I don't know if it works like that for win2k... but I'm sure it does)

4. Mercier01

Mercier01 Thread Starter

It starts up in Safe Mode with the second hard drive in, but not regualar mode. I have Win 98 SE. I don't think it is my registry because i've formated my drive, the one with Win, and it still happens with the second drive in.

Whats the CMOS settings...the jumpers are correct. My new hard drive is set to slave and the one with the OS is Master

5. Rockn

Rockn

You need to set up the new drive in the system settings. If it is a fatory PC it is probably set up to autodetect it, but go in and check just in case. When the PC boots there si usually some kind of message that comes on the screen that prompts you to press an F10 ke or Delete key or something similar. Once in there go to the IDE Hard drive detection section...the rest should be self explanitory. Save the settings and reboot.

When you installed the new drive, did you by chance put in a different cable that came with the drive??

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Do you have a network card installed in the computer?

7. Mercier01

Mercier01 Thread Starter

You mean the BIOS right? Well AUTO is selected so its not that...and no i didn't use and cords that came with it...should I?

I have a network card but it isn't installed...would it help if I did?

Thanks for the help:)

8. Mercier01

Mercier01 Thread Starter

Now its starting to happen with only my master drive in...it took me 10 min to get the computer started up today. I had to unhook the main hard drive then plug it back in, that didn't work so i switched it to a diff plugin spot. Like the thing that goes in the back of the hard drive. When i started Bois came up by its self and i saved and left and it started up

Please Help

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice