HD problems (raid 0)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rome87

Im thinking of setting up a raid array with two 10000 raptor HD but am unsure about about a fews things.

my specs are
mobo = GA-p35-dq6
cpu= q6600
Gpu =BFG 8800GTX
hardrives =two raptor 10000 rpm
1 dvd drive
no floppy drive

Do i need a floppy disk drive to install the raid controller is there any other way that this can be done ?

Does anyone have a good guide on this please post link ?

Also is it possible to have a totally sepertae HD for storage that is not in RAid 0 ?

If I change HD will i still be able to register Xp ?

Hi,

With XP, yes you will need a pesky floppy one.

Do you still have your motherboard guide? There's a RAID guide in the appendix.

rome87

Theres a raid guide but i dont have a floppy drive so im screwed there must be a of burning an image or something ?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I sure hope you are planning a separate backup drive for this configuration! :eek:

rome87

JohnWill said:
I sure hope you are planning a separate backup drive for this configuration! :eek:
hi there sorry bout late reply yes i gotta 250 gb for storage.
i have some questions

if i change my config on my rig ie changing from no raid to raid 0 will i still be able to register my xp ?

does anyone have a link to a step by step guide on setting up raid 0 without a floppy ?

thx

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you have a working configuration on a non-raid disk, install the RAID drivers on the disk. Then you can use something like Acronis True Image to simply clone the disk to the RAID array, which is how I built this system with no floppy. Running on RAID doesn't affect the registration of XP at all.

rome87

JohnWill said:
Storage, or backup?
backup for all my games folders non installed etc

okay so atm i hav the os installed on a single 10000 raptor i hav another raptor that im gonna use together with the otherone for raid 0 so step by step whats involed

1st burn raid controller image on cd but then do i need two cd drives 1 for installing xp and one for adding the raid controller to the installation of xp or what ?

2nd ?

3rd ?

thx once AGAIN

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Install the RAID drivers on the existing installation.

Use an image backup utility such as Acronis True Image to make an image of the existing Windows installation on a drive other than your Raptor drives for the RAID array.

Install the drives, configure the RAID controller, and build the array using the RAID controller BIOS setup.

Restore the Windows imaqe to the RAID array.

rome87

JohnWill said:
Install the RAID drivers on the existing installation.

Use an image backup utility such as Acronis True Image to make an image of the existing Windows installation on a drive other than your Raptor drives for the RAID array.

Install the drives, configure the RAID controller, and build the array using the RAID controller BIOS setup.

Restore the Windows imaqe to the RAID array.
ok do i have to format both raptors im kindda a newb

can i dual boot 32bit xp home and vista 64bit of this array ?

so like this

get the raid drivers off the mobo drivers cd and install on my current raptor

then connect the srecond raptor and what ? im lost sorry

rome87 said:
ok do i have to format both raptors im kindda a newb

can i dual boot 32bit xp home and vista 64bit of this array ?

so like this

get the raid drivers off the mobo drivers cd and install on my current raptor

then connect the srecond raptor and what ? im lost sorry
How new to PC's are you? All that you are trying to do is very possible but not the simpliest of operations.

A how-to guide would be getting pretty big.

JohnWill said:
If you have a working configuration on a non-raid disk, install the RAID drivers on the disk. Then you can use something like Acronis True Image to simply clone the disk to the RAID array, which is how I built this system with no floppy.
I thought you went over to Vista, John?

rome87

usualsuspect said:
How new to PC's are you? All that you are trying to do is very possible but not the simpliest of operations.

A how-to guide would be getting pretty big.
im new to raid but not that new to computers.

i would be grateful if you could write a small how to guide

thx

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
usualsuspect said:
I thought you went over to Vista, John?
I have a couple of Vista machines, but I still have some XP and 2K machines. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online