1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hd Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spontaneous, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spontaneous

Spontaneous Thread Starter

Specs:

Gateway E-4000
    WinXP Home
    P4 2.4ghz
    SP1 (Waiting for SP2 to be released via CD/DVD)
    1x Maxtor 80gb hd
    1x Maxtor 250gb hd (Not Installed Yet)

Questions

1. I bought the 250gb hd at Best buy, the tech guy there said I needed FireWire. So I also bought an Adaptec FireConnect 4300.

A. What does FireWire do/ Why do I need it?
    B. If I need it, How/Where do I install it?

2. Since I have SP1 is there a hd limit supported? Do I need SP2?

3. Do I need a BIOS update? If so, what is a good (free) BIOS update for my system?

4. Should the 80gb or 250gb be the Master/Slave?

Thanks. :)

2. ranger007

ranger007

I'll try to give you answers to some of your questions. But take some time to read all of the instructions you received with your new components because you will be opening your computer case to install your Firewire connection. Don't begin work until you feel comfortable with what you will be doing, because while this shouldn't be complicated, you can do a lot of damage if you are not careful.

Assuming (?) your 250 Maxtor is an external HDD, you will connect it to your computer via the firewire connection (it is a card you will plug into a PCI slot on your motherboard) you also purchased. Simply (as I understand it) firewire is a very fast and efficient way of transferring your data to/from the external hard drive.

Your Adaptec FireConnect 4300 will plug directly into a PCI slot on your motherboard. The package should include an installation CD.

You need to check with Gateway regarding whether your computer motherboard needs a BIOS update to work with your new hard drive - if needed and available, there should be no charge.

If Firewire works like USB connected external hard drives (as I understand them), you don't need to worry about Master/Slave. Your current drive should remain the master and that should work for you.

Hope this might help some. There are many experts available here that know a lot more than I do, and as I said earlier, you shouldn't begin installing your internal Firewire card until you are sure of what you are doing. If you have doubts, check with BestBuy (or your local computer dealer) to see what they would charge to install the card. After the Firewire card is installed, you connect the HDD by plugging it into the slot.

With all of that said -- best of luck!

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If you are asking about the 250 gig drive being master or slave, I have no clue whatsoever why they would tell you that you need a firewire card :confused:

I will tell you one thing though, last week CompUSA has the Adaptec 4300 for $9.99 after a $20 mail in rebate.....

Also, I did buy one, and popped it into my computer and didn't need any drivers off the cd. XP found everything it needed.

4. Spontaneous

To clarify the Hd is internal. I am still confused about why I need the firewire.

I purchased the Adaptec 4300 for $40. (Rip.)

I purchased the 250gb HD for $145.

5. 4steve44

4steve44

Before buying any hardware in the future it would be wise to consult these wise people in this forum. ;) They can set you straight before you go out and spend money needlessly. You got took on the firewire :eek: And it does not matter which one you set up as master/slave. Just your preference :) I hope you can return the firewire. :D

6. ranger007

ranger007

Clearly you don't need your Firewire adapter. Hope you kept your receipt.

7. Spontaneous

I kept the receipt. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

8. ~Candy~

I hate to say it, but a 250 hard drive for $145 is too much too.

I picked two up (Hitachi) at Fry's about a month ago for $79.99 ea. after rebate.

Let me dig around my sale flyers, emails, etc. and see what the great deal this week is.

9. ~Candy~

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice