HD won't defrag

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stmeece

I can't get my Hard drive to defrag. The defrag application starts but it keeps saying content on hard drive has changed and won't get past 15% before it starts over. I let it go all night last night.
I have cable modem and a firewall, so I'm always online. I have a 20G HD, Win98, 1.2G processor. Is it possible I'm always getting some kind of data from the internet that is accessing my hard drive while it's trying to defrag.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Steve

first thing's first have u shut off your screen saver and all background programs? it is possible for the modem to be causing it because you're always receiving bytes from your connection.

Hi stmeece

One of the best ways to run defrag is in safe mode. This will stop background programs from running. Turn off the screen saver when you are running defrag also. BOL

When restarting your computer, press and hold the f6 key when the first windows loading screen comes on.

This will p[ut you into 'safe mode'

MolsonMan :cool:

Or try tapping the F8 key several times just after post. It should bring up a menu giving you several choices. Just pick safe mode when you get the menu.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online