1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HD Won't format!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JABAUDIO85, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JABAUDIO85

JABAUDIO85 Thread Starter

Hi, my friend has a reeeeal problem with her computer, she must have gotten a virus and it terminatd her HD. It won't boot to windows, it wont boot from the Windows boot disk, it won't boot from the CD-ROM, and when I give it the format C: It's says it's not supported by the HD. So I can't fomat the Hard drive. Can anyone tell me what to do!? Thanks

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

If it won't boot into windows, and it won't boot with a boot disk, and it won't boot with the cdrom, where are you typing format c: from?????

3. ~Candy~

PM from user:

HD Won't format
    Hello, I'm doing it from a prompt

You can just repond back to your thread so everyone can follow along and try to help as well.

How are you getting to an a: prompt then? Do you have a bootable floppy in the drive? Can you get to a c: prompt?

And maybe I'm not understanding, if you are trying to format c: from a c: prompt, it's not gonna happen.

And what happens when you try to boot with a windows 98 bootable floppy disk? Are you getting any error message?

4. JABAUDIO85

JABAUDIO85 Thread Starter

Well, here's what it's doing. It turns on, then after about 2 mins. It says, well in a nutshell, Hard Disk Falliure. Then you can press F1 to continue, or F10 to start the configuration utility. I pressed F1, I did have the windows 98 boot disk in the drive, it read the floppy drive, and said starting windows 98, It later says that it can't continue because there is the wrong version of MSDOS. I tried to boot from the windows 98 cd-rom, and when it tried, it just stopped, later I tried to re-install windows, after running a ruitine check on the computer, it says it can't continue, because it can't make a temporary directory on the HD. So I re started, and again when it read the Floppy, I got an A:\ and I told it A:\Format C: and it said the HD does not support formating. I can get a C: But It does no good, There's not much in there, I was able to do Edit.com and I looked in the C drive, and there is almost nothing, just little things like scandisk.exe, there isn't even a config.sys All gone, but all I want to do is format the HD, and it won't let me. How can I format it!?

5. ~Candy~

What happens if you choose F 10 and go into the configuration utility, make sure the hard drive is being recognized there, save changes, continue to reboot with the windows 98 bootable floppy (try getting a new one from here) the 98 version.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

I then think you are going to have to start with fdisk first instead of format c:

I'm popping in and out today, not feeling well....but I'm sure someone else will come along to offer assistance.

6. Steven715

Steven715

To Use Fdisk you need to Delete your partition on the C Drive.
    Then Create a partition saying yes (Y) To Boath Questians and Then restart your computer when you exit out of Fdisk (Using the Esc Key) It will pop up a message saying it needs to restart!
    Then at the command prompt using a Startup Disk Type

Format C: /s [Enter]

This will make your hardisk a Startup disk then you can reinstall your opperating system.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice