1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hd4870

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dunc453, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

Hey
    Well i have sorted all my other problems with my pc out and now i am gonna probably make a new one.
    That is unless i ask for your assistance. Which i am doing.
    I am getting a new GPU ATI Radeon HD4870
    The market leading GPU i think. It costs uite a bit and so does my computer. So, i dont want to mess up the install.
    I know there are guides and i know how to put it in but i have a few questions.
    I have a SLI array at the moment, two nvidia 7950 GPUs, i soubt it, but woth a shot,

Is it possible to make a SLI/Crossifre array. So i have one of my nvidia GPUs working with my new ATI GPU. If it is possible is there a downside?

Not to do with the GPU but anyways, I have a 64 bit intel processor, i guess that is the only thing i need to allow Vista 64 bit to run.​

I think that is all the questions i have at the moment, if i think of anymore i wont hesitate to ask.
    I am not getting the components for a few months, i will post about my installation closer to the date.

Thanks in advance
    Duncan

2. BG-0

BG-0

You can't do a Radeon/GF mix array. CF and SLI are very picky about what you use, even of their own kind. Remember to completely remove your own graphics drivers before putting the new card in.

3. dunc453

dunc453 Thread Starter

thanks
    SO do you think my new GPU on its own is better than say two lesser grade ATI GPUS?

4. BG-0

BG-0

Well, 4850 CF would perform about 10-15% better(assuming the game takes full advantage of both cards), but that would be way more expensive, and you'd need a new motherboard to use CF.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/750698

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice