1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDCP/HDMI isses with ROKU

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by alexs2074, Aug 27, 2018.

1. alexs2074

alexs2074 Thread Starter

recently, and quite all of a sudden, I was getting HDCP errors on my TV when using ROKU 3. It was not a power cycle issue, or a cable issue, or a port issue. whatever it is is much more complicated than that. at first, a full factory reset fixed the problem, but then not too long afterwards it would come back again. a little bit of research suggested that the older TV can no longer communicate with the ROKU, which means ROKU must have updated their HDCP protocol and forced the update onto my device without my authorization. Unfortunately ROKU doesnt give you the option to forego updates. So I got a splitter. That works, except that now the AV goes out for about 5seconds at random intervals. I use the same splitter with my DVD player and this does not happen. What is very weird is that when I am watching some shows, the blackouts will occur in the exact same location in the video stream, implying that the issue is in the signal itself. Perhaps I bought a bad splitter? Perhaps the TV I have it just too old and needs to go into the garbage? This would be very unfortunate because it is a great LG TV. Any ideas about this issue? Of course Intel is to blame ultimately, but there is nothing I can do about that. I wonder how much larger the landfills are getting because of non-compatibility issues with HDCP between 'older' and new devices.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1215041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice