1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD 0% to 100% spikes

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Denjin, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Denjin

Denjin Thread Starter

Hello everybody,i am having some issues with my HDD ( i think ) and i decided to post here in hopes we can identify the problem together and hopefully try and fix it.

The issue is this, whenever i download files or install large files ( games ) my HDD disk usage jumps from 0% to 100% ,non stop, lagging my PC a lot to the point where i can hardly click on anything. The CPU usage remains low , the ram usage remains average.

All HDD tests i made show it's in good condition, health status good and low temperatures.

MY HDD is Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM.

Any help is appreciated,thank you for your time.

PS : My HDD is not fragmented,does not have high system entropy and its not even close to full.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

What exact test did you do? Did you run the seagate diagnostic; both long and short tests?

Next it would help if you posted ALL of your exact system specs; ie exact mb, exact ram, exact video card, exact pw supply, etc, etc. If this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, post the exact make and model# If you have a service tag# post that as well.

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Do you have CACHEING turned off?? It sounds like it.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If I remember correctly those 7200.12s were the drives with the bad firmware.
    Have you updated the firmware for the drive? If not, I would do that right away. The issue is that the drive suffers sudden death ie becomes a paperweight without the update. Here is the support page, check the ser# to be sure however the one you listed has an update.
    http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/213891en

5. Denjin

Denjin Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies all.

I have installed new firmware for my HDD and the spikes are still there when i download or install big files. However my PC does not lag at all anymore. It works fine even though the hdd usage jumps from 0 to 100% all the time while installing / downloading.Also i have cacheing enabled.

It seems to work ok so far ,i hope it holds. Thanks again for the help everybody !

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140999

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice