1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Activity LED

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by demples004, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demples004

demples004 Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me, I have an Microsoft Windows XP eMachine, W2646, the problem is I cannot get it to come on. Saturday morning I heard a clicking sound coming out of the computer room, when I went to check, the HDD Activity LED was flickering nonstop with the clicking sound.

The keyboard lights were flashing too, it will not stop, I unplugged it and plugged it back up and it is still doing the same thing. My screen is black, the monitor's green light is showing that it is on yet there is nothing on the screen.

Is it my modem burning out or has it burned out? Can anyone help? Am I making sense to anyone? Thanks!

2. demples004

3. demples004

4. TheCGTech

TheCGTech

Turn your computer off and pull your modem, then turn your computer back on and see if anything happens. Sometimes bad modems can halt a system from turning on. If not then reply and we will try some other things.

5. demples004

What do you mean by pull the modem?

6. TheCGTech

TheCGTech

Take the modem out of your pc.

7. demples004

And how am I to do that? I have never done anything of this sort before, do I go into the back of the modem? Is it located at the top or bottom of the case?

8. win2kpro

win2kpro

I doubt that the modem is the source of the problem, but to remove the modem remove the removable side of the machine. Unplug the power source from the machine, then unplug the line source from the modem, and with the side removed you will see that it is plugged into a slot on the motherboard with one phillips head screw securing the end of the modem to the case.

Remove that screw and pull "gently" on the modem until it is free of the slot. Make sure you touch the metal part of the case before touching the modem to dissipate any static electricity from your body.

9. demples004

What about my hard drive, can it be that? Is there a program to retrieve data from your hard drive?

10. TheCGTech

TheCGTech

It could be that, let's take it one step at a time though. When you start looking at programs to retrieve data off of a hard drive, you are talking big money. The best thing to do is slave it to another drive and just pull your information off.

11. demples004

Slave it to another drive, I have no clue as to what you are saying. I am really frustrated with not being able to use my computer, it is half of my life!

12. TheCGTech

TheCGTech

Have you tried taking the modem out of the computer yet?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483948

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice