1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD broken after formatting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Callum_Dawson, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Callum_Dawson

Callum_Dawson Thread Starter

I just installed WS08 on a laptop, for testing purposes. Before doing so, I split the HDD into 2 partitions; one for the OS, and another for data.

When the OS was operational, it said DATA (D drive) needed to be formatted. So I formatted it, and as it finished, the system rebooted and ever since has failed to load Windows.

I then went onto the boot disk, erased all data on the HDD, and tried to reinstall the OS. After 5 minutes, the OS installation returns an error regarding the HDD, and goes to the start again.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What brand is the hard drive? Have you run the full diagnostics from the manufacturer of the drive to check its state?

3. pip22

pip22

"the OS installation returns an error regarding the HDD, and goes to the start again."

Please post the actual wording of the error message. Simply stating that it "returns an error" is not much help.

4. Callum_Dawson

Windows could not format a partition on disk0. The error occured while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Did you get recovery disks with your system or did you have a (hidden) recovery partition on your hard drive instead as a substitute for the recovery disks?

Were only 2 partitions listed in setup when you had to choose where to install?

Di you have any problems with the machine before you started this project?

Was the D: drive the size you expected it to be (drive letters change depending what is looking at them and cannot be used to identify partitions)?

At this point, you should run diagnostics on RAM and the hard drive. If you hav built-in diagnostics, use that. Otherwise, there is a drive test at the drive manufacturer's site and try the memtest boot disk:

Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

6. Callum_Dawson

I can't seem to use the recovery disk nor the Windows disk. The disks get past the loading bar, but then it 'freezes' with a cursor and the background colour. The mouse is movable, but nothing ever appears. I've left it loading for hours.

For the record, it's an Acer TravelMate 5330.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Test your memory.

8. Callum_Dawson

My friend said I should test the boot sector, using Hiren's Boot CD (which scans for various hardware problems). I'll try it tomorrow, and post any results.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice