HDD CMOS Error

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adamjoz

Ok, so I’m relatively new to computer building but I have done a fair amount of research and this is my first build, a completely new build.
Specs
I9-10850k
ASUS ROG Maximus Formula XII
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB (x2)
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce 1080Ti
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32gb (2x16)

When I boot the PC up, it does it’s own checks and eventually gets to the stage where ‘HDD CMOS Error’ shows up on the motherboard screen. I also cannot get anything to show up on my monitor, I have tried all 4 outputs on the GPU, so I also can’t access the BIOS at this moment. I have checked that everything is seated correctly and it all seems to be. I just don’t understand why there would be a ‘HDD’ error when I dont actually have one (and don’t intend on using one). Any help would be much appreciated.

Attachments

Oddba11

Jim
"HDD" would apply to any mass storage device. ie: traditional spinning HDD, SSD, or m.2, etc.

If you have both Evos connected, disconnect one of them.

Adamjoz

"HDD" would apply to any mass storage device. ie: traditional spinning HDD, SSD, or m.2, etc.

If you have both Evos connected, disconnect one of them.
Hi, thanks for the reply, I have tried connecting 1 and even 0 drives to the board and the same error still comes up. I have also tried both drives in both of the 2 front m.2 slots.

crjdriver

I checked the support page for that motherboard. your processor is supported from bios 0607 on; not from the release bios.
Since this board has bios flashback, this issue is easily fixed. First and foremost, read how to use bios flashback; it is not as easy as a regular bios flash. Once you are sure you understand the procedure, then flash to at least bios 0607 or just use the latest one. Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Note if you are sure your board has a later bios, then disregard the above. Asus support can tell you what bios the board shipped with if you provide the serial# from the motherboard box.

Adamjoz

I checked the support page for that motherboard. your processor is supported from bios 0607 on; not from the release bios.
Since this board has bios flashback, this issue is easily fixed. First and foremost, read how to use bios flashback; it is not as easy as a regular bios flash. Once you are sure you understand the procedure, then flash to at least bios 0607 or just use the latest one. Here is a link to the support page for your motherboard;
ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA | Motherboards | ASUS USA

Note if you are sure your board has a later bios, then disregard the above. Asus support can tell you what bios the board shipped with if you provide the serial# from the motherboard box.
Thanks for your reply. I will try this as soon as I can and get back to you. ASUS support is closed at the minute so I can’t check the BIOS at this time and I’m not sure what it came with out of the box

Adamjoz

Thanks for your reply. I will try this as soon as I can and get back to you. ASUS support is closed at the minute so I can’t check the BIOS at this time and I’m not sure what it came with out of the box
Ok so I have done this and updated to the latest BIOS that isn’t a Beta, and it no longer says ‘CMOS Error’ but it does say ‘Detect HDD’ and I have one connected at the moment

Adamjoz

Ok so I have done this and updated to the latest BIOS that isn’t a Beta, and it no longer says ‘CMOS Error’ but it does say ‘Detect HDD’ and I have one connected at the moment
Q Code is A2 the drive is definitely seated correctly and is clean (board and drive brand new), it is currently in the right hand slot

crjdriver

Can you enter the bios? If so, does the drive show up in the bios?
I will be out for a while and will check later today.

Adamjoz

Can you enter the bios? If so, does the drive show up in the bios?
I will be out for a while and will check later today.
I can’t currently get in the BIOS, my GPU seems to be connected fine but my monitor is apparently not receiving a signal

Adamjoz

I can’t currently get in the BIOS, my GPU seems to be connected fine but my monitor is apparently not receiving a signal
But again, I don’t know if this is because my Mobo isn’t detecting the drive?

crjdriver

If you are not seeing any display on the monitor then the motherboard is not completing POST. I would pull the board out of the case and do an out of case build. There are detailed instructions in the guide for problem builds at the top of the hardware forum.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online