1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Compatible with my PC?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by UPSer, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. UPSer

UPSer Thread Starter

Well I got a Seagate 160GB Barracuda ATA HD. Here's direct link . I have an HP a330n PC. Here's direct link to the Mobo.

The reason I have this question is because on the box it says PATA/100 .. My other drives are SATA I think... I don't know... which is why im asking lol... Thanks (y)

2. Sponsor

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Attached Files:

4. UPSer

UPSer Thread Starter

Thats what im trying to clear up. On the front of the box it says "PATA/100" 160GB/8MB etc etc. On the bottom it states, "160 GB Barracuda ATA HD". Then on the back it states, "Specs: PATA/100 interface, 7200RPM"

Also I have added a HD in the past "60 GB MAxtor 5.4k RPM". My PC came with a 120GB 5.4k RPM. In HD tune they both are UDMA Mode 5 (Ultra ATA/100). The 120GB gets a transfer rate of 3.4MB/s max, and the 60GB gets 35MB/s max. Just a little background..

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Your drives are Parallel ATA (PATA or ATA) ... versus ... Serial ATA (SATA)
    Not sure why the faster drives would be slower.

6. UPSer

UPSer Thread Starter

To return or not to return?

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Try it first.
    Back in my ATA days ... I just left the jumper to cable select ..
    and plugged them into the Slave connector on the ribbon cable.

8. UPSer

UPSer Thread Starter

Thats how my 2 are set now. I want to do a fresh OEM XP Home install. I am backing up to DVD so I don't need one of the drives, as I only have room for 2 HDD. Not sure which to keep, any suggestions? Anyway, should I install OS on new 160GB and file page on a partition on the older HD or vise versa? Thanks for your time everyone. (y)

Thats why im saving to build another PC.. For better tech. .. but this is for now.

9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

Seagate's are good drives .. If it works, I'd install a new OS on it.
    Not sure about the paging file ...
    But I like to Partition my main drive for an OS partition then a second partition for ALL my Data.

Then use a second HD to Backup my Working drive.
    Something like ...

Attached Files:

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/665636