1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Crash

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tink, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tink

Tink Thread Starter

A friend's computer has completely crash & I'm trying to help him determine whether it's a harddrive problem or WinXP or a virus. It goes thru all the checks when it starts up & mentions a primary HDD error. I go into the setup & ask it to autodetect the hard drive, which it does, but when I put in the system restore CD or the WinXP cd to re-install or repair it tells me there's no hard drive present. I can get to a dos prompt with a boot disk & can bring up the directory of the C drive, but it's not showing any Windows files, data files or anything but basic stuff. It still is under warranty so if it's the hard drive that can be replaced, but before I send him off to the warranty depot I'd like to ensure it's not an operating system thing or virus. Can u suggest how i can go about checking it out further? Is there a good virus checker I can load on a disk & run? Thanks so much.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Most Hard Drive manufacturers have utilities you can download to test if the drive is bad. Maxtor has there PowerMax utility. Check the manufacturers website for one. They are probably going to want you to run that utility before they will let you rma it anyways.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!