1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD data lost

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobomajo, Feb 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobomajo

bobomajo Thread Starter

There was a power surge and now one of my HDD only sees its unused space, it had "unknown" partition I had no choice to repartition my HDD. But now it sees its total space as free space before the power surge.

I have reformatted and reinstalled OS on my computer: Hard drive in question is 400GB IDE drive that thinks its a 137GB hard drive, 80GB IDE hard drive have OS windows xp pro SP1 I think because of reformat, Gigabyte KT333 motherboard I think, AMD Athlon 2700, Gforce FX 5500.

It there any way I can recover the used space or ad least make my computer see the hard drives total space.

2. ademzuberi

ademzuberi

couldu give some more infoabout your mobo, Gigabyte XX-XXXXX KT333 North Bridge

3. bobomajo

bobomajo Thread Starter

Heres a link to the motherboard: GA-7VAXP

4. pvc_

pvc_

download one of these hard drive recovery programs like acronis...

5. bobomajo

bobomajo Thread Starter

Well nice suggestion but you need to create backup files with those type of programs to be able to recover them. I guess there may not be a way to recover more than half of my hard drive. Shame since there was 7 years of data on it and I had only recently purchased that hard drive but it is only past its warranty.

6. pshnfry

pshnfry

7. pvc_

pvc_

you don't need to make backup. I had a similar problem, only one of my partitions was showing up under disk management and the rest was just unallocated space. I ran the acronis disk recovery and was able to recover my 2 missing partitions. Acronis lets you use the software for free, but the changes will not be saved unless if you buy the program...get the program, run it and see if it can find anything.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/684022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice