1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD & DVD writer on same IDE

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by winpc, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

I've installed an Asus M2N-VM-S motherboard with one IDE channel.

Due to the missing HHD chassis and the profile of the front panel of my Tiny brand midi atx case I've put it in, the Maxtor ATA133 HDD is plugged into the slave and the DVD is master.

It seems to be working well although I've read that the two devices on a IDE will work at the same speed of the lower speed device.

DVD is a NEC ND-3520A.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    The dvd drive should be connected as slave and the HDD should be connected as master.

3. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

Yes, that is the norm from what I've read, HDD on master.

Sadly, due to the profile of the front panel, the DVD bezel only fits the top bay and I've had to put the HDD in the lower DVD bay since there's no HDD chassis in the case.

The slave plug on the IDE ribbon is not long enough to reach the DVD, hence its plugged into the HDD.

As I said, its booting well and seems fast enough.

If problems do arise, I can invest in a new cable.

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you're presently using Cable Select you could change the jumpers to make the HDD master and the DVD slave.

I don't think the position on the cable (middle or end) really matters but there is a lot of different info about this online.

The IDE cable is usually colour coded, with blue going to the motherboard. There are 40 wire and 80 wire cables too, 80 wire is better. You can tell which you have by counting the individual wires in the ribbon.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It has been so long since I have even seen an IDE Drive, but an ATA133 drive you wouldn't get full drive throughput speed with a 40 wire cable either.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're right Jay, it's been a while for me too ! I still have some 80 wire IDE cables stashed away somewhere.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Me too. I also have an IOMEGA 250 Zip drive. Don't ask me why. May someday it will be an archeological treasure or something :p

8. winpc

winpc Thread Starter

I'm using an ATA133 cable I found in an old Dell PC.

The PC is working well and seems fast enough, HDD on slave in lower bay, DVD on master in upper bay.

On thing about SATA HDDs I found, some motherboards only support a single HDD when the BIOS is set to IDE mode so speed is impeded anyway.

Thanks for the comments folks.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I never had one of those, I still use a Usb floppy drive sometimes though.

Looks like that PC is ok then.

10. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

That was true prior to the advent of the 40/80wire cables and improved mb/controllers. For the last few years of IDE, each device will run at it's rated speed.

11. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

It shouldn't make any difference at all as to which is master or slave speed wise. The only thing that IS for is to tell the OS which device to sent stuff to or where it came from.
    If CS is used the system makes the one on the end master and the middle one slave if there are two devices on that cable

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    This a good example of outdated information that gets 'handed down' on the internet and is still quoted as correct years later, it happens a lot.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice