HDD & DVD writer on same IDE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

winpc

I've installed an Asus M2N-VM-S motherboard with one IDE channel.

Due to the missing HHD chassis and the profile of the front panel of my Tiny brand midi atx case I've put it in, the Maxtor ATA133 HDD is plugged into the slave and the DVD is master.

It seems to be working well although I've read that the two devices on a IDE will work at the same speed of the lower speed device.

DVD is a NEC ND-3520A.

dustyjay

Jay
The dvd drive should be connected as slave and the HDD should be connected as master.

winpc

Yes, that is the norm from what I've read, HDD on master.

Sadly, due to the profile of the front panel, the DVD bezel only fits the top bay and I've had to put the HDD in the lower DVD bay since there's no HDD chassis in the case.

The slave plug on the IDE ribbon is not long enough to reach the DVD, hence its plugged into the HDD.

As I said, its booting well and seems fast enough.

If problems do arise, I can invest in a new cable.

managed

Allan
If you're presently using Cable Select you could change the jumpers to make the HDD master and the DVD slave.

I don't think the position on the cable (middle or end) really matters but there is a lot of different info about this online.

The IDE cable is usually colour coded, with blue going to the motherboard. There are 40 wire and 80 wire cables too, 80 wire is better. You can tell which you have by counting the individual wires in the ribbon.

dustyjay

Jay
It has been so long since I have even seen an IDE Drive, but an ATA133 drive you wouldn't get full drive throughput speed with a 40 wire cable either.

managed

Allan
You're right Jay, it's been a while for me too ! I still have some 80 wire IDE cables stashed away somewhere.

dustyjay

Jay
Me too. I also have an IOMEGA 250 Zip drive. Don't ask me why. May someday it will be an archeological treasure or something :p

winpc

I'm using an ATA133 cable I found in an old Dell PC.

The PC is working well and seems fast enough, HDD on slave in lower bay, DVD on master in upper bay.

On thing about SATA HDDs I found, some motherboards only support a single HDD when the BIOS is set to IDE mode so speed is impeded anyway.

Thanks for the comments folks.

managed

Allan
Me too. I also have an IOMEGA 250 Zip drive. Don't ask me why. May someday it will be an archeological treasure or something :p
I never had one of those, I still use a Usb floppy drive sometimes though.

I'm using an ATA133 cable I found in an old Dell PC.

The PC is working well and seems fast enough, HDD on slave in lower bay, DVD on master in upper bay.

On thing about SATA HDDs I found, some motherboards only support a single HDD when the BIOS is set to IDE mode so speed is impeded anyway.

Thanks for the comments folks.
Looks like that PC is ok then.

crjdriver

I've read that the two devices on a IDE will work at the same speed of the lower speed device.
That was true prior to the advent of the 40/80wire cables and improved mb/controllers. For the last few years of IDE, each device will run at it's rated speed.

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
It shouldn't make any difference at all as to which is master or slave speed wise. The only thing that IS for is to tell the OS which device to sent stuff to or where it came from.
If CS is used the system makes the one on the end master and the middle one slave if there are two devices on that cable

managed

Allan
This a good example of outdated information that gets 'handed down' on the internet and is still quoted as correct years later, it happens a lot.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online