1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Dying: Run Win7 and Minecraft from 8GB thumbdrive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tophie, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tophie

Tophie Thread Starter

My HDD is dying. When I don't do anything really intensive it's usually great. If I'm just surfing the web, watching YouTube or even playing Terraria, crashes are uncommon.

But once I start up Minecraft it's rarely more than an hour before it starts stuttering and freezing. The hard drive gets to clicking and the screen turns blue before long. I lost so much progress so often that I eventually added a backup mod to the game to automatically create backups every 15 minutes (had it set to 30 minutes until I lost 23 minutes of progress lol).

Everything important on the PC is backed up to a 1TB external HDD. I'm not worried about the data on the internal HDD.

I know it's possible to run Windows from a thumbdrive and thus it makes sense one could also run Minecraft from the same drive, but Windows 7 requires 6GB of space. My thumbdrive is only 8GB. Should that leave enough free space to install a 100MB+ Minecraft game (includes 133 mods; I don't think Minecraft itself is that large) and run efficiently? This is leaving less than 25% of an 8GB thumbdrive free. I know that wouldn't be a concern for my 1TB HDD (if it weren't dying), but 25% of that is ~250GB. Running on less than 2GB of free space seems a bit sparse to me.

I could use the external for this, but I understand running Windows from a USB HDD would be ungodly slow. Would that be the case if it's connected via FireWire, or if I'm ONLY playing Minecraft?

This is all of course until I can get a new HDD. I'm looking for a temporary solution to my frustrations here. My laptop suits all of my other PC needs, but I need my desktop for my favorite game.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

I don't know the answer to your specific question unfortunately, however some thoughts on the overall situations:

- First thing I would be doing is confirming that the HDD is the problem. It sounds likely from your description however have you actually tested the HDD to confirm? This is best done with the HDD manufacturers diagnostic tools which are usually available free from their website.

3. Tophie

Tophie Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the welcome!

I didn't run any diagnostics using Seagate's software. I did run chdsk and found many many bad sectors. There wouldn't be any harm in using the Seagate stuff however. I'll do that when I'm done.

Right now I'm installing my laptop's HDD alongside the allegedly failing desktop's HDD. The plan is of course to repurpose it for my desktop until I get a new HDD.

If that works then I suppose I won't need this post answered. Though I'll probably want to put Ubuntu on the flash drive so my laptop can have some kind of OS for the time being. But I can just Google how to do that. Lol

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153099

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice