1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD dying?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stryder1587, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stryder1587

stryder1587 Thread Starter

My laptop started freezing after 2-3 minutes after startup regardless of what I do. I couldn't restore to a previous state because the computer would freeze up before I get a chance to. I tried booting up in safe mode but it gets stopped at crcdisk.sys

I went into diagnostics and ran the smart scan.
    The following errors were documented:

Smart Long Self Test Failed
    0F00:075D
    MSG: IDE device failed
    the self test failed the read portion of the test

Read Test Failed
    0F00:0244
    MSG: Block 157355265
    Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Verify Test Failed
    0F00:1A44
    MSG: Block 157355266
    Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Before I completely scrap my HD, can anybody diagnose what is specifically wrong with my laptop? Is there any way to recover what I have on the HD and back it up first? Are there any more tests I should do to further confirm the results?

Thanks

2. jamesh2923

jamesh2923

If you have a rescue floppy or cd it maybe possible to boot up and then copy important files to an external HD cd or usb drive. But at least you will be replacing the defective HD.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your drive is failing. I do not think you need any more info; replace the drive. If you want to attempt to get info from the drive, connect it to another system and attempt a recovery. You will most likely need a 2.5-3.5 adapter to connect the laptop drive.

FWIW you see why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of your drive, it is a very simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Takes all of about 10-15min with a laptop. Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

4. LordKaT

LordKaT

Yeah, it sounds like the hard drive is basically dead. If you have a recovery kit you may be able to do a raw bit by bit read on the drive and get a full dump, otherwise you can try hooking the hard drive up to another system to verify that it's the drive that is failing and not the IDE controller on the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!