HDD dying?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stryder1587

My laptop started freezing after 2-3 minutes after startup regardless of what I do. I couldn't restore to a previous state because the computer would freeze up before I get a chance to. I tried booting up in safe mode but it gets stopped at crcdisk.sys

I went into diagnostics and ran the smart scan.
The following errors were documented:

Smart Long Self Test Failed
0F00:075D
MSG: IDE device failed
the self test failed the read portion of the test

Read Test Failed
0F00:0244
MSG: Block 157355265
Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Verify Test Failed
0F00:1A44
MSG: Block 157355266
Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Before I completely scrap my HD, can anybody diagnose what is specifically wrong with my laptop? Is there any way to recover what I have on the HD and back it up first? Are there any more tests I should do to further confirm the results?

Thanks

If you have a rescue floppy or cd it maybe possible to boot up and then copy important files to an external HD cd or usb drive. But at least you will be replacing the defective HD.

crjdriver

Your drive is failing. I do not think you need any more info; replace the drive. If you want to attempt to get info from the drive, connect it to another system and attempt a recovery. You will most likely need a 2.5-3.5 adapter to connect the laptop drive.

FWIW you see why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of your drive, it is a very simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Takes all of about 10-15min with a laptop. Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

Yeah, it sounds like the hard drive is basically dead. If you have a recovery kit you may be able to do a raw bit by bit read on the drive and get a full dump, otherwise you can try hooking the hard drive up to another system to verify that it's the drive that is failing and not the IDE controller on the motherboard.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online