Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD dying?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  LordKaT 
#1 ·
My laptop started freezing after 2-3 minutes after startup regardless of what I do. I couldn't restore to a previous state because the computer would freeze up before I get a chance to. I tried booting up in safe mode but it gets stopped at crcdisk.sys

I went into diagnostics and ran the smart scan.
The following errors were documented:

Smart Long Self Test Failed
0F00:075D
MSG: IDE device failed
the self test failed the read portion of the test

Read Test Failed
0F00:0244
MSG: Block 157355265
Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Verify Test Failed
0F00:1A44
MSG: Block 157355266
Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected

Before I completely scrap my HD, can anybody diagnose what is specifically wrong with my laptop? Is there any way to recover what I have on the HD and back it up first? Are there any more tests I should do to further confirm the results?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Your drive is failing. I do not think you need any more info; replace the drive. If you want to attempt to get info from the drive, connect it to another system and attempt a recovery. You will most likely need a 2.5-3.5 adapter to connect the laptop drive.

FWIW you see why we stress backups SO much. With an image backup of your drive, it is a very simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Takes all of about 10-15min with a laptop. Remember data you do not backup is data you do not care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.