1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD Failure !!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Everway9, Oct 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hi techies! hope ure all well!

I have a Samsung SP1604N IDE HDD which has failed.

When I power up the drive it does spin up. However after a couple of seconds It produces a metalic clicking noise about 6 times then stops spinning. On opening up the HDD I see the top platter and where the read/write head sits there are two scratch marks on the platter on either side of the head (about 2mm apart). I think this HDD is dead and I do not think that I will be able to retrieve my data :(!

Does anyone know if it will be the mechanical parts at fault or the HDD circuit board? If so any ideas on how to retrieve my data?

Many thanks in advance.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First of all, opening up a hard drive is NOT a good idea. The only way you can get the data back now is by taking the parts to a data recovery shop. They can attempt to read the platter
    It is up to you; how much do you want your data back? The cost for data recovery by reading the platters can be $500 or more.

BTW this is why we stress backups soooo much. With an image backup of the drive in question, it is a simple matter to install a new drive and restore the image. Good to go.

3. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Yeah.. Thought so! Thanks The data was not that important anyway thats why I have never backed it up. I just like to try everything I can to fix issues. It adds to my experience.

Cheers for the reply

4. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

Hey; for almost two decades now, I have wished there was a jumper on every drive to bypass the internal self test so the drive would just home up and let us get what could be gotten! Most modern drives now keep their firmware and management data on the media so, even with that option, some would still be toast.
    What happened to you was a mechanical failure caused by an excessive shock while the drive was operating. The heads fly above the media like gliders and the wrong shock will cause them to, first, fly higher and then crash onto the media surface. That is what has caused the scratches.
    Some Russians and Chinese have a software/hardware technique to let you power up an identical, good drive, place it in a standby state so you can move the live logic board (CAREFULLY!) to the failed chamber, and then clone the drive to another. Unless you are outrageously brave, I would not suggest trying it.
    From experience; though, Drivesavers or Ontrack will want over $2,000 to get whatever data is possible.

5. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    Hey DavisMcCarn! Cheers! The data is not that important so, yeah might give that a go for a laugh. Any idea what software it is?

Ta

6. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

7. Everway9

Everway9 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Drew
    cheers and thx for the warning. appriciated!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757184

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice