1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD has i/o error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Alphabeta525, Jan 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alphabeta525

Alphabeta525 Thread Starter

Hello! I have a couple of old hdd's and they all read in disk management but non will allow access due to the i/o error. I'm simply wondering if there is a cmd to bypass and hard format the drive in question so I can install a new OS on the drive. It's just out of an old laptop but I really want to install linux on it and check it out. The hdd is a 30gb.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

just right click on the drive in File Explore and choose format. if that doesn't work, download Seagate's seatools and do a check.

3. Alphabeta525

Alphabeta525 Thread Starter

Awesome thank you lunar ^-^ I've tried formatting it and I've tried most all of the format/chkdsk cmds but I will try out the Seagate program:)

4. tecknurd

tecknurd

SeaTools only work on Seagate hard drives. Try download Linux Mint and run Disk Utility when Linux Mint has booted up. While you are in Disk Utility, click on the drive on the left and click on the S.M.A.R.T button for the drive that is selected. Run the short and long test. These will run the built-in diagnostics of the drive. Also Linux Mint has a simple partition editor and formatter called gparted that you can use to make partitions, resize partitions, and format partitions to whatever file system that the LIVE Linux Mint supports.

You can try to post dmesg logs that Linux Mint records. It should provide information about the I/O errors of the drive. The errors could mean the drive is about to fail or the data cable is not connected properly or the data cable is bad. If you have reconnected the data cable and replaced the data cable, but it still spit out errors will be just a bad drive. It's best to replace it.

Linux Mint can run from either a DVD or a USB flash drive with out installing.

5. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Are you trying to access the hard drive while it's still in the laptop? What type of hard drive is it and what system are you using to access it? What is the status of the drive in disk management? Is the drive recognized in the bios? To overcome the i/o error, have you tried changing the drive letter by right clicking on the drive in disk management and going to properties? Have you tried repairing operating system files with system file checker (sfc/scannow) and reinstalling the hdd driver?

Sea Tools can work on other hard drives besides Seagate drives, and HddScan is another free, well-reviewed hard drive diagnostic program. If you can overcome the i/o error, you can use any of these tools to try and check the physical/mechanical status of the drive. Good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222144

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice