1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hdd help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by katokato, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. katokato

katokato Thread Starter

i got a laptop but i take out the 2.5 inch ide hdd out but when i put pata cable on it to put it into my desktop it doesnt fit so i buy this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ters+and+gender+changers-_-KINAMAX-_-12203012

i want to do this to back up data on laptop to desktop as laptop hdd doesnt boot. so i want to access 2.5 inch hdd from my desktop (viewing it like an external hdd)

to make it bigger to put 3.5inch pata cable to my desktop mobo.
    i havent ordered that adapter yet but i know that it would work if i connected it to my ide port on my mobo but....

HOW THE [filtered] DO I CHANGE THE JUMPER TO SLAVE? there is not label on the hdd that tells me which pin to block?

or i dont have to change jumper?

the 2.inch hdd: hitachi hts541080g9at00

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

3. katokato

katokato Thread Starter

how would i obtain jumper pins for 2.5 inch ide hdd's?
    or do 3.5 inch hdd ide jumper pins also work on 2.5inch ide hdds?
    the article helped i just dont have jumper pins, as that hdd was the only one in the laptop (master) so no jumper pins were to be found.

or do i put the jumper pins on the 3.5 inch side of the adapter after i connect it to the hard drive?

or are pins universal in hard drive connection methods?

4. Hughv

Hughv

5. katokato

katokato Thread Starter

true..
    i am spending more money on it
    however it its feature outweighs the simple price of 25 dollars
    but my computer has an ide port
    i will consider it later

on the pata cable how do i determine which end of the cable goes to the mother board ide socket?

6. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Usually one end of cable has a colored (blue or black) connector. Or, there are two connectors fairly close to each other- and one single connector on the other end. Single (or colored) end goes to m-board.

Master drive is positioned at the end connector, not in the middle.

7. katokato

katokato Thread Starter

ok thanks

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice