1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HDD installation screw up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by peteflynn, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

ok here's the sorry story, and I'm not proud of it:

I bought a new Segate barracuda 80GB HDD. Hooked it up to my machine (P4 1.6, P4B ASUS, 1GB RAM, GF4MX440, XP Home) while my old HDD was still in there. No probs.
    Used the app from the Seagate site to help insstall the HDD, no probs.
    The app copies across all the data from my old HDD, not what i wanted, but I'm not too upset. So i reformat my new HDD in XP. No probs.
    Then my fatal mistake. I had not done anything to the jumpers on the HDD's. I rebooted and put in the XP disk ready to install a cleaan XP on my new superfast fix-all-my-probs-HDD.

You can see where I'm going. XCP installed, no probs then rebooted and i got a blue screen of death:

Unmountable_BootDrive

AAAARRRGGGHHH

Took out old drive. Put in new drive. reinsatlled XP, no probs. But now the old drive is telling me it is a 80GB drive with 79GB free! it says all the data is gone but I know it isn't.

Any ideas on how to undo my horrendous mistakes?

2. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

on the up side though, my earlier post about XP shutting down slowly is all fixed :))

3. zeddy

zeddy

What is the major issue? Have you lost valuable progs/files from your old drive, if so then just pop the old one back in as master and copy the needed files to a CD.

4. peteflynn

peteflynn Thread Starter

the old HDD is being seen by windows as an 80GB with nothing on it as I said above. Whereas it is really a 40GB with all my data on it.
    Changing to master or slave does nothing

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Disconnect the new hard drive; leave old [40] gig drive connected. Boot with xp cd and choose repair [first repair option] this will bring up the recovery console.
    Run in this order.
    chkdsk /r
    fixboot
    fixmbr

Press enter after each command. Shut down computer.
    Reconnect new drive and see if you can access the drive in question now.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166433

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice