1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hdd issues...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cell, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

ok i have some issues i have just decided to address. one is my recurring floppy issue (http://forums.techguy.org/t322820.html) which keeps me from loading up my new sata hdd. the other is that after my recent reformat i noticed that xp only notices 1 of the 3 hdd's i have. one is the sata. the other is the 20gb from a previous computer i had. all were formatted to ntfs but it will not pick up any of the drives. it shows 2 drives in the bios (main drive and the 20gb) but the 20 does not show up in xp. any suggestions on how to get all 3 working again?

sorry if i left anything out its 5 am and ive been up for a while! lol

2. Derrick

Derrick

Is the 20 sata or IDE? If Ide you have to make changes in the bios to enable both types of drives sata being primary I assume.

3. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

no the 20 is ide. actually the sata isnt the primary. i wanted it to be but it didnt show up during the install so i figured i would just use it as storage. how would i go about enabling them both in the bios?

4. Derrick

Derrick

If you have the manual it should give you a good Idea where to start,what mainboard do you have?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Try going to Disk Management in Windows XP to see if the drives show up there. Right click on my Computer and select Manage. If they don't appear there check Device Manager. If they don't appear there then its a hardware problem and you need to recheck the jumpers and BIOS.

6. Derrick

Derrick

I'm assuming his hard drives show up in device manager, and is using the Ide as a primary boot up device in the bios and the sata as a secondary,he wants to use the sata drive as the primary ,probably cause its faster and the slower IDE drive for storage right! . It should be under On-Chip IDE Configure I think Cell, if you have the same bios as me. S-ATA Ports Definition, allows you to set the boot sequence.

7. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

i wish it was that! i am using the ide as the primary since it has the os. the sata never showed up during the install for windows so i couldnt use it. im thinking about just cloning the hdd and redoing the whole thing!!!! but i want to get the sata working first before i do that

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    WIndows 2000/XP need to have the SATA drivers loaded at the beginning of the Windows Installation in order to see a SATA drive. You need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy and Press F6 when prompted to load them. Until you load the drivers for the SATA controller the drive won't be detected. Also you should stay with one thread.

9. Derrick

Derrick

well thats what you have to do, go into the bios set the boot sequence for sata. then install windows

10. Derrick

Derrick

Do you have to do that with an onboard controller Triple6 ? or just the card controllers

11. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

the threads were supposed to be about 3 different topics but it seems they all went to the same topic it seems. anywho
    guess i am kinda stuck till i get the floppy drive going.

12. Cell

Cell Thread Starter

*bump...

ok i got the sata drive and floppy to work (so that is 2 outta 3 hdd's that work). the other 20gig hdd shows up in device manager and in the bios but my computer will not give it a letter or let me access it.

13. Derrick

Derrick

Go to controll panel under administrative tools / computer management/disk managment and you should be able to configure it from there.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice