HDD making scratching sound

Sett

So I don’t know if this is the correct place to ask this but,

I decided to built my own PC a few weeks ago, I already had the components for a couple months, but whenever I boot my PC, my HDD starts to make a very loud scratching noise, which only quiets down a bit after a few min, but still able to hear it clearly. This started to happen probably 1-2 weeks after I finished building my PC. I checked the health of my HDD for failure, I did this through CMD, response:

wmic diskdrive get status, model
Model Status
GIGABYTE GP-GSM2NE3512GNTD OK
ST1000DM010-2EP102 OK

So I’m not sure if it’s a failure or not, since I’ve barely used it, but another person said I should replace it or send it back for warranty. It’s my first time building a PC, so I hope I didn‘t do anything wrong.

HDD: Seagate HDD 3.5 1TB ST1000DM010 BarraCuda

Scratching sound:

My fans are also very loud in the video, I don’t know how to change the fan speed, since SpeedFan isn’t detecting my fans at all(I have 2 fans, 1 is connected to PSU through molex cable and the other one is connected to motherboard fan connector, since my motherboard only has 1.

I have only used my PC for a couple minutes the past few days, since I feel anxious whenever I hear my HDD making that scratching sounds, so I would appreciate it if anyone has an explanation for this and how I should solve it.

Couriant

James
If its under warranty, then you should set up a RMA. They should send you a hard drive first so you are not completely down but yes, that does not sound good for a 2mo drive.

managed

Allan
Are you 100% sure it's the hard drive making that noise ? How is it mounted in the case ?

Sett

Are you 100% sure it's the hard drive making that noise ? How is it mounted in the case ?
When i first heard the sound, I went to check where it came from and I’m certain that the sound is coming from my HDD, I’m not sure what you mean by how I mounted it, I followed a tutorial, plugged in the necessary cables for the HDD and shoved/slide it into the HDD cage.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I seriously doubt the hard disk drive(HDD) in your computer is making a loud scratching noise.
If it was, your computer likely wouldn't boot and load its Windows operating system.

You should seriously consider installing a solid state drive(SDD) instead of a HDD.
Besides a SSD having no moving parts, it will make your computer run faster and snappier.

-------------------------------------------------

Sett

I seriously doubt the hard disk drive(HDD) in your computer is making a loud scratching noise.
If it was, your computer likely wouldn't boot and load its Windows operating system.

You should seriously consider installing a solid state drive(SDD) instead of a HDD.
Besides a SSD having no moving parts, it will make your computer run faster and snappier.

-------------------------------------------------
I later will try to check again whether it's my HDD or not, but last time I checked, I took the HDD out of the cage, cables still connected and I hard the noise coming from it, I later also disconnected it and didn't hear the scratching sound anymore, I also have both a HDD and SSD, which is installed to my motherboard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online