HDD not detected by BIOS but visible and in windows

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ralloux

Hello,

I have been facing some strange problems with hd drives lately:

I have a pc (xp pro sp2) with 3 sata hard drives. All of them are connected as ide though, because we did not want to put them on raid... (at least this is what I understood from the tech guy who made the configuration)

HDD 1 (drive C) : WesternDigital 75G / 10.000rpm - has all windows and programs installed
HDD 2 (drive D) : Maxtor 300G / 7200rpm - only for files and storage
HDD 3 (drive E) : Maxtor 300G / 7200 rpm - only for files and storage

(motherboard is MSI 975X Platinum)

2 months ago HDD 3 starts showing "windows write failed" though even if I was not working on this drive. After various efforts I couldn't fix the problem so, I unplugged the drive in order to be able to continue working, thinking I could solve the problem later.

1 month ago the (while working only with the 2 drives) the internal power supply (450w) failed so we replaced it with a 550w and connected again the HDD 3 to check if it was a problem caused by the power supply. Everything seemed to work fine again.

Until 2 days ago, I get a blue checkdisk screen for drive E, which while running it says that almost every sector from drive E is not readable (I don't remember exactly the phrase it was displaying) After that, drive E (HDD 3) has disappeared from windows although it is connected on the motherboard.

Today, I decided to take a look at this problem and as i check the bios first to see if drive E is detected from the BIOS I realize that : neither maxtor drives are detected from the bios.

So, bios detects only ONE drive, (the HDD1 with the windows installations and everything)
If I try to autodetect, it finds only one more drive but with 136G space, so I guess that this is the problematic HDD 3. So, I quit without saving (in case I lose HDD2 as well) and login XP.
In XP I can see drives HDD 1 (C) & HDD 2 (D). It is working, I can see files and folders, I run Tune-Up utilities, it is showing fine.

I cannot see of course HDD 3 (E)

Can this be possible? For a drive not to be detected by Bios and still be visible and working in Windows??
Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed with it?

ps. Meanwhile I have been facing many problems with the print spooler as not starting at all but I guess that this is a different issue and I will post another thread for this. I am just mentioning it here in case someone sees some connection to the drives issue.

Thank you in advance for your time and help

It could be possible that when the old power supply took a bite that it might have messed up the BIOS in the computer just a bit. I usually do not recommend doing this because it could be a bit dangerous if anything goes wrong during the update process like any power outages even just for a split second it will trash the BIOS flashing. If you have never done this before I would strongly suggest getting someone to help you that has experience at this type of procedure.

ralloux

Thank you osrom1e for your quick reply.

But changing the power supply was done by a technician and not by me. And it was done 1 month ago. We sat together and I saw that in the BIOS all 3 HDDs were detected.

After that, I was working fine with all disks until 2 days ago when HDD3 had its moment of denial :)

I didn't check the bios then. It's just today I decided to have a look and noticed that I cannot see both drives !

The thing is, do you think that this might result in losing all my drives or maybe the 2nd one too??

Is there a way to check if the bios is working ok?

Thanks again

My going rule is if the computer boots the BIOS is ok, but then again there could be some small problem with it, more than likely it is ok. The one problem here is I do not know how the drives are connected since you are using SATA drives and have them using IDE this is where I am at a lose there must be some sort of adapter card that allows you to use them as IDE since the cables are different, this adapter card might be going south as in bad. Yousay this was configured by a tech and it might be advisable for you to contact this tech and have him/her take a look see. This probably would be the best course of action after all it is your data and that is important.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online