Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

HDD not detected in BIOS

953 views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Grimmoses 
#1 ·
Recently, I replaced my Seagate 500 MB 32 MB cache HDD due to an apparently failure. The disk wasn't being read in BIOS and would not boot. Instead I got: Disk Boot Failure please insert System Disk and press enter. I replaced the bad drive with a WD 500 MB 32 MB cache HDD and it worked fine for about 2 months. Now I am having the same issue come up and I can't seem to find a good solution. I replaced the SATA cable and that didn't work, and tried it in a friends machine and still the same issue. The BIOS can't find the HDD and there is no option of booting. So I guess my question is did this 2 month old HDD just happen to fail in the same way? Or is there something that is wrong with my machine that is causing these drives to fail?

My specs are as follows:

Asus P5N-D Mobo
Pentium Q6600 2.4GHz
512 MB EVGA GeForce 8800GT
700W Power Supply
4 GB DDR2 RAM

#4 ·
My BIOS was the most recent version from Asus, I tried reverting back and it didn't help much. There haven't been any power surges to my PC that I know of and it is protected by a $100 Home Entertainment (IE., meant for TVs and the like) so its unlikely that the cause would be a surge. As far as checking the power leads I tried all 4 SATA power connectors and none of them seem to be hot after leaving the system on for a few minutes. None of them work with the drive either. The drive isn't winding up at all so it just stays cold.

#7 ·
it can only be back luck or power surges then or someone turning it off at mains? a child maybe? just cannot be anything else
what knackers HDDs heat and power surges being dropped, i would keep eye on temps in future, fans maybe all pointing wrong way, its possible unlikely i know

#8 ·
Ok, thank you for the help. The fans I would think would be good. I had the other HDD for almost 2 years before it went bad because I bought it for a previous computer and transferred it over when I built this one about a year ago. It worked fine for that long so I think it may be bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.