HDD not detected in XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

inextremis

My 80GB HDD is not being detected within windows XP. It is being detected in the BIOS as primary slave. Any thoughts?

TIA!

etaf

Wayne
is this a new HDD - or has this just suddenly happened on an existing PC.
can we have details on make/model of PC
error message
or what you are trying to do when you see the error

are the jumpers set right? just make sure its the only thing i can think of right now

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Did you format it? Does disk management see it?

i have an e-machines 500 and am running windows 98..i first noticed something was wrong when i couldnt open up IE for my yahoo mail...I received a notice that yahoo had inactivated my mailbox so i opened a new one with different screenname.....i had same problem...IE appears on screen and then disappears..if i tried to bring it up again i get an error message about illegal activity and program will be shut down. the details reveal problem at that KERNEL file..i dont have the exact numbers from that box but can get them if you need them...if i try again i get disconnected from aol...also, i have received returned mail in my mailbox on mail i didnt send...when i try to open up IE with any website there is website address stating "bad URL..." and then nothing appears in IE..please advise me how to correct this problem..i sent you the hijack log previously..thank you

inextremis

Sorry, should have provided more information.

Here are my specs, a pc I built:

DFI Lan Party Ultra B
Primary HDD WD 40 GB
Secondary HDD WD 80 GB; both IDE, second being detected in bios as primary slave but not seen in windows.
Radeon 9800 PRO
512 RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy
Lite On CDRW 52x

The secondary HDD is not new and it is formatted and holds extra data; no windows as the primary has windows xp.
It was working fine after I upgraded my mobo to the DFI Lan Party.
I checked all the cables, power, etc and the jumper setting on the drive itself.

As stated, it did work previously until I installed some cathode in the case and now BIOS will see it, but windows will not.

inextremis

P.S. It does show up even in windows device manager, but no drive letter assigned in "my computer".

inextremis

LukeW said:
are the jumpers set right? just make sure its the only thing i can think of right now
Yes, the jumpers are set as slave; also tried jumper as cable select.

this was sent to me in error...i am "help...i've been hijacked"..please read my note above and respond please...i dont know any more now than when i first wrote to you and each time someone different answers

etaf

Wayne
"Flags" can you start your own post and provide as many details as possible - you can always post a hyperlink to this thread if you want to to provide info on similar problems.

I had similar issues before.
If it is not a new hard drive, but a hard drive with data...
You might try going to disk manager and see if it is detected as a foreign drive.
If so, use the fuction "import" on your drive.

I can tell you exactly what the problem is - the drive is not partitioned and formatted. Right click on the drive in drive manager and choose partition, then format it. That process will assign a drive letter to it and it will show up under My Computer.

If you thought you had data on it before then it seems to be lost, I cant tell from what you said if it was a new drive you installed. Sounds like it tho.

Before reformatting, try reading the drive in DOS. I had this problem with a drive and I thought the data was gone, but was able to retrieve it and copy everything onto another drive formatted with fat 32 (in my case c:). the only problem with this method is that you lose all the long filenames.

If you are savvy with Linux, that's even better, you can then mount that drive in Linux, copy all the data over to a different drive, re-partition and reformat the old drive, and transfer all data back to the old drive keeping all the long filenames.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online